Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Any good birdscaring tips?

You have several choices: electronic, model predators, kite, laser pointer.

Static owls and snakes are OK, but the birds become habituated unless the models are moved.

Electronic sound scarers are good, and you might form a community scheme for a small area

https://birdgard.co.uk/home/20-bird-gard-pro.html

Larger versions used here to keep woodies off winter wheat.

Then plastic versions of a sparrow hawk. I have one in the garden. Small birds are kept away, but pheasants don't seem to mind .

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/...SABEgLAqvD_BwE

Should be easy to leave it hanging from the backstay.

Finally the kites. Really not usable in a marina with tall masts.

I have it on good authority that some people use a small laser pointer, and associate it with a noise or water pistol. Needs care if on an aircraft approach to Southampton.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Thread and other perch deterrents don't stop them they even hang off the vertical bits of the rigging. Vibration helps so a tight line like a topping lift that sets up a thrum/hum throuhout could help but might be just as annoying to anyone on board or nearby..
    In the past I have used something called 'Hum Line' which seemed to deter the local gulls. Its obviously a bit of a hassle tying it on and removing and does actually emit a humming noise but maybe worth a go. Not very expensive if I remember correctly.

several rubber snakes dotted over the deck seem to be quite effective. We moved to a new marina early this year and found our boat covered with bird poo in the early part of the summer. The neighbouring boats on either side were clean and each sported rubber toy snakes on the foredeck and coachroof. We found a source on the internet, bought three or four and the boat has stayed pretty clean ever since. I had never heard of it before, but other boat owners we have spoken to since have said "Oh, yes, didn't you know that?"

Don't go for anything ridiculously big - another boat near ours has a python that is about five feet long - the birds take no notice of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Maybe an owl that's not made of plastic? Somewhere or other (QAB?) I saw a hawk-shaped kite flown off a thin pole which looked pretty convincing to me, though I was not the target audience.
    I wonder if the owl can be given a head with a wind vane? Then it could swing round through improbable angles at random, like a real owl. (I have been watching an endearing Little Owl a lot lately, but I don't think it scares anything away! See https://www.facebook.com/groups/wild...7903862971149/)

Mike.

Plastic owls are fairly commonly used.
    I sailed into Topsham the other week and was surprised to see an owl whose head rotated, seemingly following me, as I passed.
    Scared me.

Quote Originally Posted by chriss999 View Post
    I sailed into Topsham the other week and was surprised to see an owl whose head rotated, seemingly following me, as I passed.
    Scared me.
    The owl I bought has a rotating head on a spring... Mildly freaky...
    You never know, I might be right!

Quote Originally Posted by chriss999 View Post
    Scared me.
    We have a neighbour who complained about our feeding the birds - prat, why did he buy a house surrounded by trees then .

I desperately wanted to get one of those Owls with an IR seeker and put it on the fence so it watched him going up and down with his lawnmower, but the boss wouldn't have it.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Spread bird food on your favourite opponent's decks?

Football sized yellow inflatables with mirrors that spin and swing. Kept birds from digging up my lawn - apparently they don't like the mirrors which reflect like big eyes.

Plastic owls are notorious for working for a few days before familiarity breeds contempt.

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Spread bird food on your favourite opponent's decks?
    Tempting!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast