Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Any good birdscaring tips?

Quote Originally Posted by richardbrennan View Post
    The marina (Haslar) usually get a man with a hawk in at this time of year, and this does seem to be effective, but I realise it just sends the problem elsewhere.
    Yes, but if "elsewhere" is into some trees that will appreciate the fertiliser then we have a win-win situation...

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Maybe an owl that's not made of plastic? Somewhere or other (QAB?) I saw a hawk-shaped kite flown off a thin pole which looked pretty convincing to me, though I was not the target audience.
    You would be, if you sat on my spreader and s..t on my deck.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

I had the same problem, boat absolutely plastered and happened very quickly, but I don't think it was starlings. A fisherman in cornwall recommended nets and I never had a problem since. Hung across the spreaders with an up haul. The sort of netting you can get from chandlers that some folks put round their guard wires

Old spice aftershave works for me...really scared the birds off😎

I would happily shoot the buggers with an air rifle... Taking care to make sure any stray pellets don’t take out the windex nav lights etc... But the RSPB have managed to get legislation passed to make it illegal. Which raises a thought.

If I had a hobby that imposed a cost on another person, would that party be able to seek redress?
    Last edited by Tomahawk; 17-09-19 at 15:12. Reason: usual
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

get lots of gull poo on my boat on the thames usually and they used the solar panels as a landing platform until i put spikes on the panel and got this hanging from the back of the boom and have bunting along the length of the boat. . made a bt difference.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/STV-Interna...5BVV408D54G3XV
    Current boat: 1988 Jeanneau Sundream (lifting center board)

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post
    I've now gone and bought a plastic owl, who has taken up residence on the boom, much to the amusement of the rest of the crew, but I have to be honest I'm not expecting great things....
    Somewhere I have a photograph of one of the plastic owls at Stranraer Marina ... with a seagull sitting on its head.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I'm afraid with birds, they learn fast. Airports spend millions each year on the problem. They use an active team of bird scarers during daylight hours utilising a host of tactics.

Farmers use gas guns, rope bangers and flappy flags. It only works for a time, then it requires a person with a shotgun to spend a day dropping the birds to re-teach them to be afraid. The cycle is on endless repeat...

I just accept I'm going to be cleaning up the boat.

As a photographer at Dunsfold Aerodrome I often got lifts with ' the bird van ' - a Marina with a loudspeaker on top and a cassete player with choices like ' Kestrel, Curlew in Distress ' etc.

This seemed to have a minimal effect for a few minutes before the buggers flew back again.

Leading to a nasty accident but I'll leave that for now.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Thread and other perch deterrents don't stop them they even hang off the vertical bits of the rigging. Vibration helps so a tight line like a topping lift that sets up a thrum/hum throuhout could help but might be just as annoying to anyone on board or nearby..
    Quote Originally Posted by Seashoreman View Post
    In the past I have used something called 'Hum Line' which seemed to deter the local gulls. Its obviously a bit of a hassle tying it on and removing and does actually emit a humming noise but maybe worth a go. Not very expensive if I remember correctly.
    Please don't: they are seriously anti-social. Someone with a mooring near mine had one and it was very seriously annoying, to put it politely, day and night.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast