Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Silicone antifouling

Originally Posted by Stemar
    Given the proven (in)effectiveness of currently available antifouls, I've often wondered about the possibilities of silicone wax on the hull itself. Has anyone tried it?

Theoretically, it should make the hull slippery enough that fouling can't get a grip and anything that manages to attach itself shouldn't be able to hang on under way, even at the low speeds of a ragtop

You're on the right track, but I imagine in the future it will be along the lines of laser etched superhydrophobic surfaces.
    It's interesting, start a thread on the subject?

So here it is. Any thoughts anyone?
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Default Re: Silicone antifouling

Hempel's Silic One has been around for about 5 years, long enough to give some feedback on its effectiveness. From what I've read, it needs frequent runs at a speed of 8+knots to keep the hull clean, so it's best suited to mobos and racing yachts, rather than the average cruising boat.

One of the down sides is that if you try it and for whatever reason you don't like it - its a devil to remove to produce a clean surface allowing you to return to conventional AF. Another issue is the coating is soft and not abrasion resistant. Slings might damage the coating - or you simply hit a bit of wood as you sail - any nicks in the coating allow fouling to develop (this is one of the problems with Prop Speed).

Most of the major AF companies have a silicone treatment for commercial vessels (which have mixed success) and Intenational did conduct trials, on a racing yacht (I think in Holland), there has been no fanfare and I assume the trials did not meet expectation - or we would have heard more.

BUT - its (AF) a significant issue for commercial vessels - I'd expect there to be developments and my anecdotal comments may already be dated.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Hempel's Silic One has been around for about 5 years, long enough to give some feedback on its effectiveness. From what I've read, it needs frequent runs at a speed of 8+knots to keep the hull clean, so it's best suited to mobos and racing yachts, rather than the average cruising boat.
    OK, probably not ideal for a Snapdragon 24 then. On my handicap, I reckon that if I get round before the 2230 cutoff, I've probably won the Round the Island
    Steve

I reckon if you can get your 24-footer up to a hull 'speed of 8+ knots' it'll need to clean your nappie as well as your Snappie....

My prime worry is that after applying silicone you will never, ever be able to apply any other paint.

As far as I know silicone can not be removed completely, no matter what technique you use.

Quote Originally Posted by SvenH View Post
    My prime worry is that after applying silicone you will never, ever be able to apply any other paint.

As far as I know silicone can not be removed completely, no matter what technique you use.
    I don't know how true that is; I have heard of people successfully painting after removing silicone polish. In the case of SilicOne, it is applied over three undercoats consisting of an undercoat and a tie coat, so the only problem would be removing the undercoat. I have used it on my prop this year. The results are not very promising, but I won't know until I lift out because the bottom is pretty foul anyway.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    I reckon if you can get your 24-footer up to a hull 'speed of 8+ knots' it'll need to clean your nappie as well as your Snappie....
    Actually, with 28hp under the bonnet (long story) I can do 7 knots, but I lay a wake like a tsunami and burn fuel like it's going out of style, so I only do it as an Italian tuneup once or twice a year because the engine isn't usually worked hard enough to stay healthy.

I saw 11 knots on the GPS once, coming in through Hurst with a big spring tide pushing me.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    ..... so I only do it as an Italian tuneup once or twice a year because the engine isn't usually worked hard enough to stay healthy.
    I know that this thread is about antifouling but I am questioning this "Italian tuneup", especially for a diesel engine; there is no need. I am also aware that there are people who think otherwise.

In regard to silicone based antifouling, I would like to see how it develops in future because everything else seems to have less and less effect.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN FANTASTIC View Post
    I know that this thread is about antifouling but I am questioning this "Italian tuneup", especially for a diesel engine; there is no need. I am also aware that there are people who think otherwise.

In regard to silicone based antifouling, I would like to see how it develops in future because everything else seems to have less and less effect.
    The reason my engine needs it once in a while is because it's a 28Hp engine in a 24ft sailing boat. The original engine was 8HP, but it died and the 28HP was offered to me for free; if I'd been buying, I'd have been looking for 16-18HP.

Under normal circumstances, it doesn't get worked hard enough, so it gets smoky. A flat out blast for a few minutes lays a smokescreen worthy of a destroyer on the Murmansk run at first, then it clears and and it's smoke free again.
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast