Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    152

    Default Personnal EPIRB/PLB

    Hi

    Does anyone have any recommendations as to which PLB to get.

    AND are there any bargains to be had at SBS as am heading down next weekend.

    Thanks for any advice.

    Regards

    Graham

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Mooring, Faro
    Posts
    1,669

    Default Re: Personnal EPIRB/PLB

    I don't think there's any difference in performance between the makes and choice is most likely down price, ease of use, does it float? and can the owner change batteries?.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Emsworth Hants
    Posts
    12,565

    Default Re: Personnal EPIRB/PLB

    The whole point when sailing is not to go overboard. The harness should have one long and one short tether which is used on deck so you can't go over the guard rails the long one is to put around the mast when reefing or vice versa, plus a U-bolt in the cockpit and jackstays. We clipped on in bad weathers and always at night tthus didn't need a PLB but we did have EPIRB.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the Celtic Fringe
    Posts
    14,313

    Default Re: Personnal EPIRB/PLB

    Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    The whole point when sailing is not to go overboard. The harness should have one long and one short tether which is used on deck so you can't go over the guard rails the long one is to put around the mast when reefing or vice versa, plus a U-bolt in the cockpit and jackstays. We clipped on in bad weathers and always at night tthus didn't need a PLB but we did have EPIRB.
    True but accidents happen.

    Let's say you are 50 miles offshore and break a leg well out of VHF range, or are having a pee off the back of the boat at 0340 and fell in while the crew were snoring in their bunks. How do you summon help?

    I saw Duncan Wells's demonstration at the SBS and was impressed with the PLB that alerted the mothership.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: Personnal EPIRB/PLB

    Trouble is the PLB that you saw wasn't a PLB at all. It was a Personal AIS Beacon with a range of around 5 nautical miles.
    There are no leisure craft that have the ability to receive PLB signals.
    It is very important to understand the difference in technologies. Personal AIS for localised search. EPIRB/PLB for global search.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    9,749

    Default Re: Personnal EPIRB/PLB

    Quote Originally Posted by Strikeliner View Post
    Trouble is the PLB that you saw wasn't a PLB at all. It was a Personal AIS Beacon with a range of around 5 nautical miles.
    There are no leisure craft that have the ability to receive PLB signals.
    It is very important to understand the difference in technologies. Personal AIS for localised search. EPIRB/PLB for global search.
    Very important point. The personal AIS beacon should be set up in conjunction with the yacht’s AIS system or it is worthless.

    I suggest:

    If you single hand your boat or if you crew for other people or do delivery work - PLB

    If you are sailing with a crew on your own boat - AIS beacon which alerts the boat’s AIS system. These can be fitted into life jackets (good ones, anyway) so it makes sense to fit the boat with a set of life jackets which each have a personal AIS beacon fitted.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: Personnal EPIRB/PLB

    Have a look at the range of devices on display on the HMCG stand - especially the tiny one, which is small enough to be secured A: on your lifejacket or B: on a cord around your neck. That's the best I've seen.

    They're on sale in Ocean Hall....

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Emsworth Hants
    Posts
    12,565

    Default Re: Personnal EPIRB/PLB

    >Let's say you are 50 miles offshore and break a leg well out of VHF range, or are having a pee off the back of the boat at 0340 and fell in while the crew were snoring in their bunks. How do you summon help?

    Uttter madness every boat has a toilet.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fareham
    Posts
    6,657

    Default Re: Personnal EPIRB/PLB

    Quote Originally Posted by Strikeliner View Post
    Trouble is the PLB that you saw wasn't a PLB at all. It was a Personal AIS Beacon with a range of around 5 nautical miles.
    There are no leisure craft that have the ability to receive PLB signals.
    It is very important to understand the difference in technologies. Personal AIS for localised search. EPIRB/PLB for global search.
    And some will issue a VHF DSC call too.
    ۞

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,203

    Default Re: Personnal EPIRB/PLB

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    True but accidents happen.

    Let's say you are 50 miles offshore and break a leg well out of VHF range, or are having a pee off the back of the boat at 0340 and fell in while the crew were snoring in their bunks. How do you summon help?

    I saw Duncan Wells's demonstration at the SBS and was impressed with the PLB that alerted the mothership.
    Pee in the cockpit. Wash it out with a bucket of water. No point in risking your life for a quick pee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to