Default Short little film about Leigh On Sea Harbour and it's fishing trade

Default Re: Short little film about Leigh On Sea Harbour and it's fishing trade

Nice little film. I've had many enjoyable lunches in Old Leigh in times gone by.

Memory prodder for me, going out on the shrimping boats mid 60's nice, thanks

Interesting, I worked there back in the early 80's when it was still the Old Town of old.
    The industrialisation of the cockle industry was a bad move driven purely by greed. In the old days the cockle dredgers were relatively small limited by unloading by hand, but they worked day in day out . Then one owner got a giant dredger that could load three times as much, so all the others followed suit. The public owned foreshore got built over with wharves & industrial equipment, quite why Southend council allowed this eyesore is anyones guess. Cockle harvests soared & before long they had to limit the trips the boats took as a "conservation" measure. They would have been better off limiting harvest to what could be unloaded by hand. Out of interest i made the very last Cockle yoke for John Dickens back in the late 80's.
    Then gates appeared across Bell wharf which had been public access for centuries. The Boatyard restaurant built its eyesore balcony out into the creek. Its a yuppified dump that has no soul.

Not far away on the Blackwater they grow some of the best oysters in the world...
    Butthere is nowhere to land them on the Blackwater.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Sadly the Fishermens Co-op old clapboard building on Strand Wharf was badly damaged in an arson attack a couple of weeks ago.
    Not all who wander are lost

Thanks lovely. Tiller Girl was built and launched in Old Leigh by Seacraft.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Thank you for posting the link to this film.
    My dad used to live in Leigh many years ago so it is nice to have that connection.