Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Headsets, anybody use them?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogershaw View Post
    Do you know one armed semaphore.
    Semiphore?

Mike.

With Jane's hearing detiorating fairly rapidly I'm seriously considering something along these lines. Preferably not silly money, recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Bru View Post
    With Jane's hearing detiorating fairly rapidly I'm seriously considering something along these lines. Preferably not silly money, recommendations?
    If there's a problem with hearing, might I suggest sign language or lip reading classes? Electrical equipment has a habit of dying (as do hearing aids). The first two will also keep the mind sharp (for both of you).

Quote Originally Posted by Bru View Post
    We could do with them in the house

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
    If there's a problem with hearing, might I suggest sign language or lip reading classes? Electrical equipment has a habit of dying (as do hearing aids). The first two will also keep the mind sharp (for both of you).
    Fair comment and we do indeed use a certain amount of hand signals but none of the above works when madam has her back turned to me and at present she insists on doing the deck work (all 8 stone of her) with me on the helm because helming makes her very nervous even in open water, let alone the confines of a marina

I doubt me she will ever have the confidence to helm the boat alongside a pontoon although a mooring buoy maybe

Her hearing is poor but not (yet) so bad as to need hearing aids but getting her attention is the major problem followed by my having to bellow questions and requests (aka instructions that may be carried out if the recipient feels so inclined )

I have a pair of V6 Bluetooth motorcycle/referee sets

You need two of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphone-B...655334&sr=8-26

Then you need two of the ear pieces that hook over the ear such as these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vnetphone-m...8655522&sr=8-7

Do not make the mistake of buying the kit for motorcycle helmets thinking that you ear piece for you mobile might work. It won't.

They are great for mast work and for avoiding shouting when mooring stern to in Greek harbours

TudorSailor

Quote Originally Posted by BigJoe View Post
    Over the last couple of days we have noticed several boats berthing, where the skipper and crew were wearing headsets for communication while coming in alongside.

I always prefer the shouting method, but now SWMBA seems to think they are top of our winter wishlist.
    If there are just two of you and want something for occasional use, we found a pair of standard phone bluetooth headsets work fine. For example https://www.halfords.com/technology/bluetooth-car-kits/bluetooth-car-kits/halfords-bluetooth-headset?istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istFeedId=367c5610-f937-4c81-8609-f84582324cd6&istItemId=xmlittplm&istBid=t&_$ja=tsi &utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=skimlinks_phg&utm _campaign=phgreferral

Assuming you both have a mobile (they can be left in the cabin) you make a mobile call to your partner, then, on ours, its a double press of the earpiece to recall the last number.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
    Last edited by Plum; 16-09-19 at 19:57.

Thought about it initially, but couldn't find suitable ones that were truly waterproof and didn't cost a fortune. Meanwhile we don't need them anymore as we've worked out hand signals and done the jobs often enough for it to be routine and require little communications.

Added benefit, the anchoring hand signals also work when I'm in the water (usually swimming above the anchor, either watching it set or having just helped it set in difficult bottoms by jamming the tip under the Posidonia roots or rolling it into a nearby patch of sand). The headset probably wouldn't cope too well with that.

I think headsets would be useful and solve a problem....

I just couldn't bring myself to wear them on style grounds.

I'm so vain.

Do you not still use them with your B&G RDF set?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast