Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Headsets, anybody use them?

Quote Originally Posted by Bru View Post
    Fair comment and we do indeed use a certain amount of hand signals but none of the above works when madam has her back turned to me and at present she insists on doing the deck work (all 8 stone of her) with me on the helm because helming makes her very nervous even in open water, let alone the confines of a marina

I doubt me she will ever have the confidence to helm the boat alongside a pontoon although a mooring buoy maybe

Her hearing is poor but not (yet) so bad as to need hearing aids but getting her attention is the major problem followed by my having to bellow questions and requests (aka instructions that may be carried out if the recipient feels so inclined )
    We use a set when I'm up the mast twice each year, quite useful. Never used for mooring or anchoring. I use hand signals when retrieving the anchor, direction to anchor, ahead, slow, stop and reverse. Seems to work and I never turn around, simply signal behind my back. I just trust my wife to watch the signals, no big deal.

We use a £12 ebay remote windlass system when mooring stern to a quay. I trigger the remote which lets my wife know when to start running chain out, seems to work. She comes back to help with lines and we use the cheap remote to adjust the anchor chain.

Headset seems too much bother for mooring and anchoring as we manage without shouting about 99% of the time. I sometimes make a sign for "what's the depth? (index finger & thumb)" and get fingers held up showing metres depth. She sometimes shouts the depth but very, very rarely.

Couple of years ago I was in a West Marine in Florida. Went to the counter and asked where the headsets were. The guys yells across the store "Hey Joe, do we have any marriage savers left"!

I laughed but they are aptly named. We found them very useful - no yelling, especially during stressful docking!

Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    If there are just two of you and want something for occasional use, we found a pair of standard phone bluetooth headsets work fine. For example https://www.halfords.com/technology/bluetooth-car-kits/bluetooth-car-kits/halfords-bluetooth-headset?istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istFeedId=367c5610-f937-4c81-8609-f84582324cd6&istItemId=xmlittplm&istBid=t&_$ja=tsi &utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=skimlinks_phg&utm _campaign=phgreferral

Assuming you both have a mobile (they can be left in the cabin) you make a mobile call to your partner, then, on ours, its a double press of the earpiece to recall the last number.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
    That’s a bl##dy good idea!
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by ctva View Post
    That’s a bl##dy good idea!
    Unless one sails single-handed.......................
    And I can't see my dog liking the idea
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

Quote Originally Posted by tudorsailor View Post
    I have a pair of V6 Bluetooth motorcycle/referee sets

You need two of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphone-B...655334&sr=8-26

Then you need two of the ear pieces that hook over the ear such as these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vnetphone-m...8655522&sr=8-7

Do not make the mistake of buying the kit for motorcycle helmets thinking that you ear piece for you mobile might work. It won't.

They are great for mast work and for avoiding shouting when mooring stern to in Greek harbours

TudorSailor
    We use these, single best thing I've bought, makes anchoring in a busy bay so much less stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by tudorsailor View Post
    I have a pair of V6 Bluetooth motorcycle/referee sets

You need two of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphone-B...655334&sr=8-26

Then you need two of the ear pieces that hook over the ear such as these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vnetphone-m...8655522&sr=8-7

TudorSailor
    A cheaper option that uses kit you already have is to use Intercom for Android (probably iOS variants available)
    It uses a Bluetooth connection to turn two phones into a pair of walky-talkies. No mobile data used. With bog-standard wireless headphone you can keep phone in pocket or on chart table and chat normally while at opposite ends of the boat/mast.

I wonder if the OP saw who I saw at Woolverstone on Sunday using some headsets and that set me off on an Amazon search for something similar. I like the idea, having to shout can easily come across the wrong way, though I am now worried about people being able to hear my muttered, 'WTF are you doing?'

We don't even talk when anchoring. We plan before hand, followed by a few hand signals if needed. Same with docking. Planning is the thing.

We decided to use Bluetooth phone headsets and to open up a phone call. Worked really well, with no need for shouting etc. However, my wife knocked hers into the sea when undoing a stern line....

Replacement on its way, but she will be wearing a bandana to keep it in place in future!

Denis
    Olivia Jane

Sena SPH-10 - excellent sound, USB recharging, programmable set-up if need be.
    Used when up the mast and anchoring at times in order to get a running commentary on depth while I am at the bow.
    Not cheap but work very well and integrate with phones if you wish to.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast