Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Default Re: Selling Expired Flares

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    The vendor advertised delivery by Hermes which specifically forbids fireworks and inflammable goods so no hazmat label would be acceptable, and despatch without one makes it an act of wilful criminally negligent endangerment.
    It's not unusual for carriers to accept from companies things which they wouldn't take from private individuals, with special arrangements for packing.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    It's not unusual for carriers to accept from companies things which they wouldn't take from private individuals, with special arrangements for packing.
    Exactly. I guess they wouldn't want people selling time expired flares over the internet and sending them in one of those plastic mailing bags.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    Exactly. I guess they wouldn't want people selling time expired flares over the internet and sending them in one of those plastic mailing bags.
    Indeed.

And just like you could be driving some in your car to the boat, you would be aware of it so if your car caught fire you can say to the fire service.

Not sure you'd be allowed through certain tunnels etc.

And while I'm sure they get a bit of a battering in the flare box, I've seen how parcels are lobbed around in courier depots etc. If I haven't told them it's dangerous it's my fault if it goes off. If I told them it's theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    I ...... But the bit about firing them downwind and having them curve back is in the manufacturer's instructions and taught on courses. .....
    I agree with you as this was taught to me. However, on the pamphlet below it is not mentioned: -

https://www.painswessex.com/docs/def....pdf?sfvrsn=10
    https://www.painswessex.com/docs/def...b.pdf?sfvrsn=6
    https://www.painswessex.com/products...ed-rocket-mk8a

It is mentioned and described in the "training animation" on the 3rd link and the 'product demo'.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    ...... I'm astonished ebay haven't taken this guy down.! ......

......... with a Mauser M67 form 600 yards.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

I've just ordered a multipack of 24 camping gas bottles, from a discount mail order supplier. They will be sent as a parcel, in a cardboard box.
    The energy in that box is far more than the energy in a few flares, and they are easy to punture, being disposable tins of thin metal.
    I suggest the keyboard safety gauleiters get in touch with Amazon, they post millions every year.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    I've just ordered a multipack of 24 camping gas bottles, from a discount mail order supplier. They will be sent as a parcel, in a cardboard box.
    The energy in that box is far more than the energy in a few flares, and they are easy to punture, being disposable tins of thin metal.
    I suggest the keyboard safety gauleiters get in touch with Amazon, they post millions every year.
    Just saw the local garage taking delivery of a few thousand litres of petrol, delivered in a suitable container and appropriately marked, not in plastic bags, delivered by the village posty.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    Just saw the local garage taking delivery of a few thousand litres of petrol, delivered in a suitable container and appropriately marked, not in plastic bags, delivered by the village posty.
    Jolly good, LPG and flares are normally delivered in cardboard boxes by cheap courier companies though.
    John Hawkins

So whatever all the naysayers think, or want to believe, we seem to have a difference of opinion here which is fair enough, but some of the attitudes that have been presented I find quite shocking.

In theory, we are all seafarers and skippers and have a duty of responsibility to those in our care. Yet despite published and promoted guidelines / laws there are those that deem it acceptable to say what the **** and ignore everything.

So go ahead and launch an out of date flare from a suspect source and bet your life and the life of those on the boat with you on it.
    Go ahead and order a year old flare of ebay that causes a one in a billion chance of a fire that changes someones life in not a good way.
    By all means, if your conscience as a skipper and human being accepts that, take that risk.
    I for one will not be doing that and I applaud and commend all those who have posted on this thread who think the same way as I do.

edit: clarification of my final sentence
    Last edited by dolabriform; 20-09-19 at 20:57.
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

The most well-publicised, non-anecdotal UK flare accident was caused by an in-date flare..and that's not a one in a billion chance..
    By the way, an OOD flare worked, and got us towed off some rocks, this summer. (A 100% success rate for the flares I have let off to attract attention at sea. Out of date of course).
    I have let of lots of flares of all types, all out of date, and they all worked fine.
    John Hawkins

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast