Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Default Selling Expired Flares

Hi all

I came across this seller on ebay who is clearly selling expired flares which I thought was illegal, however I can't find the relevant legislation online ( Google is letting me down ).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pains-Wes...0AAOSw1m1dLhAy

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 14.29.09.png

Does anyone have a link to it?

edit: this one list expiry date of 04/19 in the description:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/comet-red.../163671818780?

Thanks
    Last edited by dolabriform; 16-09-19 at 13:32.
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

Default Re: Selling Expired Flares

I carry pyrotechnics that are up to 10 years past their use by date, but never in France.

Pyrotechnics, stored in the correct conditions, are very safe. I've only heard of one spontaneous combustion on here. The conditions that caused that was far from ideal.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

The other worrying thing about these expired pyrotechnics on eBay is that I can ask for delivery to my local corner shop where they just pile up the eBay packages behind their counter...

And they're probably sent undeclared via Royal Mail (although this delivery method is just a guess).

Quote Originally Posted by dolabriform View Post
    Hi all

I came across this seller on ebay who is clearly selling expired flares which I thought was illegal, however I can't find the relevant legislation online ( Google is letting me down ).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pains-Wes...0AAOSw1m1dLhAy

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 14.29.09.png

Does anyone have a link to it?

edit: this one list expiry date of 04/19 in the description:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/comet-red.../163671818780?

Thanks
    Never mind being illegal to sell expired Pyrotechnics. It is illegal to sell any pyrotechnics with out a license. Not sure that this seller has one!

Thanks for the tip, I've just bought them.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Licence or no licence. You cannot sell flares via eBay.

These guys are shipping via Hermes etc. Hermes use delivery drivers who use their own cars. There will be times Hermes drivers may have family members in the car with them with the goods. We may consider TEP's low risk. But do we think a TEP flogged on eBay, shipped by a courier against the courier's rules, is likely to be packaged well etc. If a TEP is to go bang by accident I wouldn't be surprised if it happened with a badly packaged TEP chucked about by a courier who has no idea what he is handling.

Thanks all
    I have just asked this of the seller before I contact ebay or anyone else:

Hi there
    I was wondering if you can show me your government license for selling pyrotechnics and guarantees that expired flares are safe to use?
    Also, can you guarantee that the shipping method described is safe and legal?
    Many thanks

I will post the reply ( if I get one ! )
    Last edited by dolabriform; 16-09-19 at 21:50. Reason: speeeling

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

I would report the item to eBay. I expect it breaks their rules. They can decide if they want to block the item.
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Quote Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
    I would report the item to eBay. I expect it breaks their rules. They can decide if they want to block the item.
    I was going to do that, but then I thought of raising the discussion here just in case there was a get out clause such as "we've listed the expiry date so it's up to the punter if they buy it". As I said in my original post, although I *believe* it's illegal to offer expired flares for sale, I can't find the legislation to support that belief.

I hadn't thought about the licenses required for *storing or shipping as pointed out by Shiny & Alex as they are also selling in date flares, hence my question to them as posted above.

In all honesty having just had the experience or firing flares in a controlled (& legal) environment, including an in date one that went very wrong, I am shocked by this seller and situation but I want to get the facts on my side before raising it with anyone in authority ( It seems by their listings that they must have quite a stock of them )
    Last edited by dolabriform; 16-09-19 at 22:12. Reason: clarity

<btw>
    I'd thought I'd just like to clarify that I wasn't looking for flares on t'bay, I was looking at an incredibly cheap Moody in greece that a friend had sent a link to and these flares were shown as 'related items'. As they were so cheap, of course I had to look at them

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast