Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Selling Expired Flares

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I carry pyrotechnics that are up to 10 years past their use by date, but never in France.

Pyrotechnics, stored in the correct conditions, are very safe. I've only heard of one spontaneous combustion on here. The conditions that caused that was far from ideal.
    Good for you.

I've just seen an in date one that was stored in perfect conditions go very wrong and if the angle had been different it could have caused a life changing injury.
    Last edited by dolabriform; 16-09-19 at 22:15. Reason: clarity
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

I don’t like them and don’t want to carry them anymore. If anyone would like an intact and in date (bought 2017) coastal flare pack then please pm me and you may have them for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
    I don’t like them and don’t want to carry them anymore. If anyone would like an intact and in date (bought 2017) coastal flare pack then please pm me and you may have them for free.
    Having had the privilege? of using them first hand, I would be tempted to take you up on your offer, however I would honestly say that smoke and red hand helds are the best way of pointing out who you are, especially orange smoke to a helicopter as it allows them to see wind and drift so keep hold of them just in case.

The current thinking regarding rocket flares seems to be that DSC / EPIRB are a better option, but in a situation that required it I would probably use every option available.

Quote Originally Posted by dolabriform View Post
    I was going to do that, but then I thought of raising the discussion here just in case there was a get out clause such as "we've listed the expiry date so it's up to the punter if they buy it". As I said in my original post, although I *believe* it's illegal to offer expired flares for sale, I can't find the legislation to support that belief.
    I don’t share your view on the significance of the expiry date - though I don’t have any evidence either - but I do believe that selling flares by this route (whether expired or not) is prohibited at least by eBay and courier policies and most likely by law.

Pete

I was wondering if you can show me your government license for selling pyrotechnics and guarantees that expired flares are safe to use?
    Is a licence required for private sales? That aside, flares are clearly banned by eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies...policy?id=4335
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Having had the privilege? of using them first hand, I would be tempted to take you up on your offer, however I would honestly say that smoke and red hand helds are the best way of pointing out who ( AND WHERE RW) you are, especially orange smoke to a helicopter as it allows them to see wind and drift so keep hold of them just in case.

The current thinking regarding rocket flares seems to be that DSC / EPIRB are a better option, but in a situation that required it I would probably use every option available.
    +1
    Last edited by Robert Wilson; 17-09-19 at 07:41.
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

In Lagos, Portugal, we fired expired flares under a coastguard's supervision he told us to wear gloves, a man fired an expired parachute flare and it exploded in his hand.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Is a licence required for private sales? That aside, flares are clearly banned by eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies...policy?id=4335
    They are registered as a business seller, but as you say they are clearly banned by eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    In Lagos, Portugal, we fired expired flares under a coastguard's supervision he told us to wear gloves, a man fired an expired parachute flare and it exploded in his hand.
    Gloves are a must, they get VERY hot unsurprisingly !

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

This is scary. I must have let-off two dozen or more without gloves/exploding in "the old days" before 'elf n softy' at bonfire parties, showing other folk how to fire the etc
    I have been very lucky, by the sound of it
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast