Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Selling Expired Flares

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wilson View Post
    This is scary. I must have let-off two dozen or more without gloves/exploding in "the old days" before 'elf n softy' at bonfire parties, showing other folk how to fire the etc
    I have been very lucky, by the sound of it
    I have also fired them on Nov 5th - at local lifeboat slip. I've also used rockets and handhelds in anger - in sight of trawlers that either were unmanned on autopilot (probable) or ignored them ( I hope not). Damaged but floating and sailable boat, engine and most electronics dead, virtually no wind, quite badly injured person on board.

Quote Originally Posted by dolabriform View Post
    <btw>
    I'd thought I'd just like to clarify that I wasn't looking for flares on t'bay, I was looking at an incredibly cheap Moody in greece that a friend had sent a link to and these flares were shown as 'related items'. As they were so cheap, of course I had to look at them
    Apologies for thread drift, but IMHO, a boat that's incredibly cheap probably has something seriously wrong with it.

Gloves are a must, they get VERY hot unsurprisingly !
    The Pains Wessex hand flares don't, because they're telescopic and when extended the plastic bit you hold is some distance from the metal tube full of burning material.

The Ikaros ones just have a fixed plastic handle on the end instead of the clever telescoping mechanism, but it still doesn't get particularly hot.

I'd still wear a glove (and there's a pair in the bag on top of the flares) just in case of stuff being ejected from the tube and falling on my hand, but after firing well over a dozen in my garden nothing's yet fallen on my glove. If I did for whatever reason find myself in distress with a flare but no gloves, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit (of Glenans) View Post
    Apologies for thread drift, but IMHO, a boat that's incredibly cheap probably has something seriously wrong with it.
    Or needs to be sold sharpish. It's been gradually reduced and is now at a very good price, however it's on a Greek Island so no good for me right now
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moody-33f...e/113885758154
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wilson View Post
    This is scary. I must have let-off two dozen or more without gloves/exploding in "the old days" before 'elf n softy' at bonfire parties, showing other folk how to fire the etc
    I have been very lucky, by the sound of it
    I have fired at least one red parachute flare over the Houses of Parliament . And I think we did a Schermuly rocket line as well, can't remember, we were too drunk.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

I’ve fired expired flares well inland on the in-laws farm. No problems with handheld flares or smokes, but the parachute flares were a different story. My experience with them is they were still burning when they hit the ground, and for several seconds afterwards. No laughing matter on the 5th November when the barns are full of hay, straw and cattle.
    Although the chances are slim, the consequences of a still burning flare landing back in your boat, or life raft, would be horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by Porthandbuoy View Post
    I’ve fired expired flares well inland on the in-laws farm. No problems with handheld flares or smokes, but the parachute flares were a different story. My experience with them is they were still burning when they hit the ground, and for several seconds afterwards. No laughing matter on the 5th November when the barns are full of hay, straw and cattle.
    Although the chances are slim, the consequences of a still burning flare landing back in your boat, or life raft, would be horrendous.
    We had the same experience, a number of the rocket flares set the grass on fire where they landed.

Shoot them away from the rigging and point them downwind!

Spoke to ebay, they will having a word with the seller!

point them downwind!
    Indeed, because that will best ensure they burst above your position

(Rockets seek the wind, so you fire them slightly downwind and they curve back over your head as they rise. The parachute will of course drift back downwind once it opens.)

Pete

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast