Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Default Have I been fooling myself all theses years - assuming tacking at 45° to the wind

My Plotter showed a track of tacking at about 85°; sailing at 47°- 48°off the wind, even though my Windex indicated very close to 45°.
    I am aware of apparent wind affecting the pointing of the Windex.

I accept wind/tide/hull performance will affect the true direction when beating, to some small/greater degree, but have I been fooling myself all these years when planning a course that I would tack at 90° and beat at c. 45°, or even closer in perfect conditions?

Last evening I had a very enjoyable sail in F3/F4, slight sea and not healing very much (nowhere near lee-rail under). Speed for the two hours was between 4kts and 6.5kts over the ground with little tide in the Bay.
    Beating back to my mooring my plotter track was noticeably "off" 90°at each tack. Speed over the ground circa 4kts
    I can't say I have noticed this before in such good conditions.

Boat is a 9m sloop, 3 tons displacement with fin keel and skeg/rudder. 6.7m waterline, 2.7m beam.

Has something changed with the boat, or have I had this principle wrong for decades?
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

Default Re: Have I been fooling myself all theses years - assuming tacking at 45° to the wind

That does not seem surprising to me.
    It doesn’t take much deviation from “perfect conditions” to lose you a degree or two on what you hope for when you tack.
    You were heeling and every degree off the vertical will increase your leeway a little. Some tide and some waves also will have had an effect. The end of season may mean more fouling on the yacht’s bottom too.
    If your basic assumptions had been far out you would have noticed long since that you were not laying points you hoped to round, so they are probably sound so long as the countervailing factors are always borne in mind.

Default Re: Have I been fooling myself all theses years - assuming tacking at 45° to the wind

Windex indicating 45degrees off wind? That would be close to a beam reach with apparrent wind.

Tacking 45 degrees to windward in "normal" conditions, I would expect my windex to indicate roughly 30 degrees. My windex is (roughly) set at 30 degrees each side (60 degrees total) and works pretty much spot on in most conditions to give a close hauled 45ish degree beat to windward.

If my windex was indicating 45 degrees I would expect to be a long way short of close hauled ... possibly as far as a beam reach.

45 degrees pointing to the wind plus 3 degrees leeway gives you the 48 degrees of your plotter track. spot on.

What was the tide doing at the time of your plots? You can only trust the compass (or fully correcting instruments) to give you your tack angle. My Windex sits at about 25/30 degrees, and on a good day my tacking angle is about 80/85 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wilson View Post
    My Plotter showed a track of tacking at about 85°; sailing at 47°- 48°off the wind, even though my Windex indicated very close to 45°.
    I am aware of apparent wind affecting the pointing of the Windex.

I accept wind/tide/hull performance will affect the true direction when beating, to some small/greater degree, but have I been fooling myself all these years when planning a course that I would tack at 90° and beat at c. 45°, or even closer in perfect conditions?

Last evening I had a very enjoyable sail in F3/F4, slight sea and not healing very much (nowhere near lee-rail under). Speed for the two hours was between 4kts and 6.5kts over the ground with little tide in the Bay.
    Beating back to my mooring my plotter track was noticeably "off" 90°at each tack. Speed over the ground circa 4kts
    I can't say I have noticed this before in such good conditions.

Boat is a 9m sloop, 3 tons displacement with fin keel and skeg/rudder. 6.7m waterline, 2.7m beam.

Has something changed with the boat, or have I had this principle wrong for decades?
    Makes sense with a little bit of tide running with you.

It works like this: without STW data I'm assuming 5kts boatspeed, 11kts TWS, and an AWA of 40 degrees close hauled. I'm guessing that is reasonably close to your boat.

Close-hauled, that would translate to an AWS of 14kts, a TWA of about 58 degrees, and a tacking angle of 115 degrees. A foul tide would open that further.

Perhaps when you turned to beat back to your mooring you simply lost that small favourable tide and the tacking angle opened quite a bit? If so, nothing untoward going on there.

45 degrees is a sort of rule of thumb for a well set up boat in good conditions but many boats fail to achieve this for a variety of reasons, such as poor sail shape, poor helming and an awkward sea. Modern racing boats will do considerably better though, and my impression is that larger boats generally do better than small ones.

A windex is useful, even essential, but sailing to it too exactly can be inefficient. The only way to find out if one's upwind sailing is up to scratch is to race. That, of course, is the road to perdition.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    45 degrees is a sort of rule of thumb for a well set up boat in good conditions but many boats fail to achieve this for a variety of reasons, such as poor sail shape, poor helming and an awkward sea. Modern racing boats will do considerably better though, and my impression is that larger boats generally do better than small ones.
    Racing boats will better 35 deg AWA, but then they go faster which kind of backfires in the tacking angle sense.

Imagine a TWS of 10kts, sailing at 7kts STW, at an AWA of 35 deg. That translates into an AWS of 15kts (boat fully powered up), a TWA of almost 60 degrees, and a tacking angle still at 120 deg!

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Thank you one and all.
    Just about to start supper, so I'll read through again, digest and then comment.
    One point; my mainsail has too much "bag" in it because I have difficulty keeping the luff tight. My Cunningham improves it greatly.
    I may have to get a new Dyneema type halyard or revert to my previous wire halyard.
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

Maybe your new crew is not tweaking the sails right, more training?
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast