Default Auxiliary engine for a Hardy pilot

This may be wishful thinking but as I am buying a 2.3hp Honda for my tender, would it be of any use as an auxiliary engine on a semi displacement Hardy Pilot 20? I have seen 2.3hp Honda's used on yachts but their hulls are altogether different. Would it as an auxiliary be powerful enough to push my hardy home in an emergency. We would only be travelling up and down the River Blackwater, the Colne and Walton backwaters in Essex so never far from shore.

Default Re: Auxiliary engine for a Hardy pilot

If there is any sort of wind or current then your 2.3 will struggle, and you will have nightmares. Have you got any oars?

I believe it will move the boat sure, but everything will be so slow to react that things like steering will become ineffective. i.e. not enough power to be useful on it's own with any certainty or reliability.

EDIT
    Rafiki makes a good point. An oar lock on on the stern and suitable oar, then a combination of sculling and motor may just do the trick.
    Last edited by BruceK; 17-09-19 at 09:34.

It will have half a chance if the bracket it sits on allows it to have the prop in the free flowing water from under the hull. If it doesnít...then useless. Always a balance with this really as youíll likely know. All about the set up of the bracket. Too high and you get a complete loss of drive almost. Too low and it will almost certainly drag in the water when not in use. The ideal would be to have it well set up for your short shaft that you use on the dinghy. Otherwise itís of less use on the dinghy if you need to go to a long shaft.
    I get away with a 3hp Malta short shaft on the bracket of my 19ft cruiser. Pushes her along at about 4mph flat out and screaming. An easy 3mph at half to 3/4 throttle and civilised. Can use the main engine to steer even. Plus the Malta is a champ on the tender too. Being a short shaft.
    Good luck.

As I said it was wishful thinking but thank you all for your interesting comments.
    Another reason was finding a storage area on the Hardy for the Honda 2.3. The dinghy takes up all the space in the bow and I already have a 6hp Mercury on the auxiliary bracket which is too heavy for the dinghy.
    Thanks again.

If your inland and dont mind slow why not give it a try. As said it will likely struggle against any wind and tide but it may keep you mobile as opposed to drifting helplessly even if you have to head in the general direction of wind and tide it will probably push you to somewhere safe to tie up or anchor untill you can sort yourself out/arrange a tow etc.
    Nothing to be lost by putting it on and trying it you may be pleasantly surprised

Thanks Beamishken, good point. I might just give it a try. (I see you enjoy "RIBnet" too)