Default LED strip lights

I would like to fit some LED strip/mini LED tubes in the ceiling of our cockpit

On the roof of our cockpit there are recessed grooves that run in 3 rectangular sections. The picture shows one. The recessed grooves are 10mm wide and 2mm deep, and so I donít think I will get a perfect for, but want to use these as the pattern. Just warm white not trying to match Match!

Any ideas?

Default Re: LED strip lights

Hi , there’s loads of different tapes available from various sizes and colours, obviously voltage also, main thing will be ip rating and where you can mount your driver,
    Have a look at the link for some ideas.

https://arc-led.co.uk

did something similar recently, the sideways curves did not bend too well and some of it wrinkled.
    perhaps cutting some V sections in the bends might have helped ?
    the blue leds are on the top only.

bending up and down is no problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by simonfraser; 16-09-19 at 20:11.

Getting the strip to flow round corners will be tricky.

If you look up flexible neon on eBay there are ones that will bend but they are about 20-25mm thick so that wonít really work.

Also do bear in mind that the the self adhesive backing is pretty poor and it wont last long. You will need a decent contact adhesive.

All in the do that neatly I think will be a challenge. The strip should also be behind a diffuser as it will be on show and wonít look great.

Sorry to have a down on it but it will be tricky !

Ask Nick Burnham ... he's the LED expert! ……

I was hoping he might stumble across this and comment. I’ve seen his videos.

Shane I don't think you can put naked led strip in those recesses without it looking hideous. If the LEDs are not behind pelmet-type things to hide them, they need diffuser strips but it is massive job to fit those in your groove, especially with the corner radii. There is one exception I can think of: if (structurally) you can Fein-cut and/or rout a 3.5mm wide slot along the trough of those recesses then you could use this http://www.lightinginsight.com/produ...instripe-flex/ but you would need perfect execution especially around corner radii

I would find somewhere else in the cockpit to fit a pelmet or utilise an existing pelmet type recess, and put LEDs there. Or fit recessed strips into the flat/plain parts of your ceiling panels. Or fit squares made of this (using some custom corner detailing) flat to the roof http://timage.eu/architecture/led-al...pin-strip.html

Good luck!

All,

Thanks for the input. I feel the great idea may have been born of too much champagne and will park it. It’s strange where the mind wanders when relaxing in the evening and you start thinking about things you might want to do to your boat.