Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aluminium v zinc anodes?

I've kept my boat on freshwater for the first year of its ownership (magnesium anodes) but going to move to the coast and suddenly faced with the above dilemma. Have done a bit of reading and can't find much wrong with aluminium apart from a suggestion it doesn't "slough" any coating on it if the boat is not used regularly.

Any strong recommendations on aluminium or zinc from more experienced boaters out there??
    Jeanneau Leader 9

Default Re: Aluminium v zinc anodes?

The new VP DPI drive only has aluminium or magnesium anode options, no zinc.

Appreciate that possibly doesn’t answer your question but if VP are moving away from zinc then they obviously feel that aluminium offers sufficient protection for saltwater boating installations

This subject was covered on here not to long ago (months) and iirc aluminium was starting to be favored. It's worth a search.

Normally magnesium for freshwater, aluminium for brackish and zinc for sea water.

I was convinced to switch to aluminium a couple of years ago, have just renewed with aluminium again.

Best to ask what your new neighbours use as different locations seam to favour certain types. All a bit of strange alchemy.

I too am contemplating switching from zinc to alu but as the zinc has worked flawlessly for 15 years so probably not.

My situation is fresh Crinan Canal water and salt water, and the zinc just works despite what all the books say.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki_ View Post
    Normally magnesium for freshwater, aluminium for brackish and zinc for sea water.
    Modern thinking is aluminium for both brackish and salt. At least one thruster manufacturer only does aluminium anodes. A small side effect of buying anodes by mail order is that aluminium is much cheaper for P&P.

I keep my boat on fresh water with occasional backish and salt water trips. Typically 2 to 3 weeks continuously on salt water each year for our main holiday voyage.
    The aluminium anodes comfortably last 2 years. They might last longer but I change them regardless.
    My bow thruster anode is available only in zinc. That doesn't seem to be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    I keep my boat on fresh water with occasional backish and salt water trips. Typically 2 to 3 weeks continuously on salt water each year for our main holiday voyage.
    The aluminium anodes comfortably last 2 years. They might last longer but I change them regardless.
    My bow thruster anode is available only in zinc. That doesn't seem to be an issue.
    I'll be on salt water full time. Interesting to read your comment regardless.

I wonder if all bow thrusters have anodes. I don't recall anyone mentioning that when I bought it from the dealer and I'm a relative newbie.
    Jeanneau Leader 9

Quote Originally Posted by Andyroonot View Post
    The new VP DPI drive only has aluminium or magnesium anode options, no zinc.

Appreciate that possibly doesn’t answer your question but if VP are moving away from zinc then they obviously feel that aluminium offers sufficient protection for saltwater boating installations
    Yes that's a strong vote of confidence from VP (the conspiracy theory being aluminium is cheaper so maybe they're trying to keep costs down - but I doubt it).
    Jeanneau Leader 9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast