Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Aluminium v zinc anodes?

Switched to Aluminium (brackish water) does exactly the same job in terms of corrosion over two years and they are cheaper!

This slough off business is worrying. If the aluminium doesn’t self clean then it will get completely covered in slime and be sealed thus not working. The good news is that it will last a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    This slough off business is worrying. If the aluminium doesn’t self clean then it will get completely covered in slime and be sealed thus not working. The good news is that it will last a long time
    Aluminium anodes seem to work for me.
    The anodes corrode. The outdrives don't.

After 2 years the anodes looked okay but on closer examination in fact they had lost a fair bit of weight .

Aluminium worked better for me in Brackish/salt water than Zinc. The Zinc ones always got a hard white coating of oxide which reduced their effectiveness. Ally ones lasted 12 months, but needed replacing after that.

I am in light salt water and tested aluminium … it did not work for me. Salinity content in my water is ard. 29/30... As far as I can see this level of salt is considered between brackish and salt water. Zinc works much better for me in this kind of water. I for sure will agree on the old terms: fresh requires magnesium and salt requires zinc but when speaking brackish you need testing. Aluminium may be best option here but not always.

Quote Originally Posted by About Time View Post
    I am in light salt water and tested aluminium … it did not work for me. Salinity content in my water is ard. 29/30... As far as I can see this level of salt is considered between brackish and salt water. Zinc works much better for me in this kind of water. I for sure will agree on the old terms: fresh requires magnesium and salt requires zinc but when speaking brackish you need testing. Aluminium may be best option here but not always.
    Interesting. Been using Alu on various boats in both salt and fresh and they have worked just fine for us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12