Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Volvo Penta 2003

Quote Originally Posted by eddystone View Post
    Had 2002 for 5 years before replacing it with Beta. Plus points simplicity, ease of access. Cons are noise, vibration and fumes, especially at high revs; cold starts involve starting at near max throttle which I guess is not ideal for bearings. Not worth major overhaul because of cost of parts. TBF it never let me down.
    Did you not use the "pull the stop lever twice" trick? My 35 year old engine starts first time on a cold morning using that wee trick.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Did you not use the "pull the stop lever twice" trick? My 35 year old engine starts first time on a cold morning using that wee trick.
    You only need to pull it out once.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom35 View Post
    I am looking at purchasing a boat with a Volvo Penta 2003 with which I am not familiar.
    I would like to hear from anyone with experience of running one, and any tips as to servicing and what to look out for, spares etc.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Mike
    Plenty of spares here https://www.parts4engines.com/volvo-...02-2003-2003t/

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    You only need to pull it out once.
    I agree but also believe that it works only if throttle is in the max position, then back to mid for turning over. Is that not correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I agree but also believe that it works only if throttle is in the max position, then back to mid for turning over. Is that not correct?
    Procedure is to put throttle to max in neutral, pull stop out, push stop back, crank engine, throttle back when it fires.

Procedure is to put throttle to max in neutral, pull stop out, push stop back, crank engine, throttle back when it fires.
    That may well be what the book says, but for me a mid throttle position works very well and makes me feel less uncomfortable than a max throttle start. Plenty of opinions as to what is best for the engine but the OP will now understand the procedure and his cranking throttle position options.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    That may well be what the book says, but for me a mid throttle position works very well and makes me feel less uncomfortable than a max throttle start. Plenty of opinions as to what is best for the engine but the OP will now understand the procedure and his cranking throttle position options.
    Yes, that is what Volvo Penta say. If the throttle is not sufficiently open, the fuel rack doesn't set properly to maximum. I've never found that following makers' instructions was a problem, but if your method works for you, that's fine. However, if the OP doesn't set enough throttle in the cold start procedure, it won't work as intended.

Alternatively, set throttle to the midpoint, pull the stop out twice, crank engine and throttle back when it fires.

Check water is exiting with the exhaust.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Alternatively, set throttle to the midpoint, pull the stop out twice, crank engine and throttle back when it fires.
    There's no point pulling the stop cable twice; it won't do anything different the second time. Why not just follow the Volvo Penta instructions?

When I first had the boat half throttle worked but by the end needed nearly full throttle when cold (using correct starting stop lever procedure) and a lot of churning.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast