Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Volvo Penta 2003

Mine is still starting well and running fine after 30 years and over 5000 hours (probably nearer 6000). Service parts need not be VP ones. Oil and fuel filters from any motor factors who can cross-match the part numbers. Mineral oil and not fancy modern stuff.

These are very common so lots of info and help here.
    Not all who wander are lost

As the OP my heartfelt thanks to all those who have replied with I must say is very reassuring indeed.
    I will not actually be hands on with the boat until the 24th. when I can apply the knowledge so many of you, and this is what I love about this site, a willingness of the members to share their knowledge and experiences.
    My previous has been 25 years using Perkins 4107/8 which are amazing engines, regular oil changes, fuel filter changes, and air input gauze cleaning is all they require. Not to forget the raw water filter gauze cleaning.

The 2003 engine has apparently lain idle for at least 12 months, the PO having passed away and family not involved in care. Would it be an advantage, or even wise to pre-lube the bores via the injectors with oil (WD40) prior to starting, or cranking before using the staring procedure to ensure oil has reached the rings and bores.
    Any other suggestions very welcome.
    Thanks to one and all again.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom35 View Post

The 2003 engine has apparently lain idle for at least 12 months, the PO having passed away and family not involved in care. Would it be an advantage, or even wise to pre-lube the bores via the injectors with oil (WD40) prior to starting, or cranking before using the staring procedure to ensure oil has reached the rings and bores.
    I wouldn't disturb the injectors if it's at all avoidable. You might use the decompression lever then turn the engine on the starter whilst spraying WD40 into the air intake, that might get some light lubrication into the cylinders.

Before you do anything, check the raw water impeller and replace if it looks in poor condition.

Edit: Be very wary of turning the engine over for an extended time with the raw water seacock open. The engine can fill with water and be wrecked. The engine relies on the flow of exhaust gas to blow the water out of the exhaust system.
    Last edited by pvb; 18-09-19 at 11:43.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    There's no point pulling the stop cable twice; it won't do anything different the second time. Why not just follow the Volvo Penta instructions?
    It works for me... simples.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Don't take the injectors out. They sit in copper sleeves and you'll need a special tool to reset them.

Thanks for the advice on the injectors, as you say best left alone unless a problem.
    The Penta is obviously a different animal to the Perkins which also depends on the exhaust gas but it never ever flooded the engine in the manner you say this engine could well do.
    Do you suggest keeping the seacock closed until the engine is running?
    The impellor could well be a problem following the time since it has been run, will check it first. Is the impeller easily accessible?

Do you suggest keeping the seacock closed until the engine is running?
    Not in normal circumstances, it's just that if you're cranking the engine for some time without it firing up, the water has nowhere to go and can backfill through the exhaust manifold.

The impellor could well be a problem following the time since it has been run, will check it first. Is the impeller easily accessible?
    Very easy to access.

I was referring to keeping the cock closed only during the exceptional circumstances following a long period of time since last run, because, if, and it is highly possible that the engine doesn't start as quickly as normally it would protect the engine, from the big problems you rightly pointed out occurring until starting normality returns.
    I entirely agree it would be bad practice to start without the flow of cooling water, and would never attempt doing so in normal circumstances.
    Last edited by Freedom35; 18-09-19 at 18:38.

Change the impeller, try to find the starting handle (may have gone walk about) and turn engine over by hand using de-compression lever. If engine turns freely try to start with sea cock open. If no starting handle you could use a socket and bar on the crankshaft pulley bolt. Set throttle to full, pull stop lever out fully and return to off, then try to start. If it doesn't fire after 5 or 10 seconds then you need to close the sea cock. Hopefully it will fire, with hand on the throttle lever you ease the throttle as the engine begins to pick up the revs. Fingers crossed you should be ok and have a running engine.

Quote Originally Posted by black mercury View Post
    Change the impeller, try to find the starting handle (may have gone walk about) and turn engine over by hand using de-compression lever. If engine turns freely try to start with sea cock open. If no starting handle you could use a socket and bar on the crankshaft pulley bolt. Set throttle to full, pull stop lever out fully and return to off, then try to start. If it doesn't fire after 5 or 10 seconds then you need to close the sea cock. Hopefully it will fire, with hand on the throttle lever you ease the throttle as the engine begins to pick up the revs. Fingers crossed you should be ok and have a running engine.
    Not all 2003s have a starting handle; the shaft for the handle exists on all (it's the end of the cam-shaft, I think), but not all have the pin through the shaft that allows a starting handle to engage. Mine doesn't and I gather that it's not unusual, and not a fault. I think the pin can be retro-fitted, but it needs the engine apart to do it. Further, if you look up the cost of the official starting handle, you're going to get a surprise - they are a silly price for a simple bit of non-precision of metal-working! I think anyone with minimal workshop facilites including welding could make one.

I turn mine with a socket on the nut on the end of the crankshaft using a ratchet driver.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast