Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Volvo Penta 2003

Very reassuring, all sounds straight forward, I am ordering an impeller to take with me to change.
    Keep anything you think of further coming.
    Many thanks
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    Not all 2003s have a starting handle; the shaft for the handle exists on all (it's the end of the cam-shaft, I think), but not all have the pin through the shaft that allows a starting handle to engage. Mine doesn't and I gather that it's not unusual, and not a fault. I think the pin can be retro-fitted, but it needs the engine apart to do it. Further, if you look up the cost of the official starting handle, you're going to get a surprise - they are a silly price for a simple bit of non-precision of metal-working! I think anyone with minimal workshop facilites including welding could make one.

I turn mine with a socket on the nut on the end of the crankshaft using a ratchet driver.
    Starting handle is a euphemism it’s more of a method of barring the engine over l am not sure if any normal person ever managed to hand start a 2000 series in situ perhaps a warm engine in on a test rig!
    I would also consider a fresh supply of fuel and if pos some fuel system washers there used to be a set available
    The fuel lift pump can be tricky if the engine stops with the cam in the wrong position which prevents the hand primer working
    A fresh battery with leads would also be useful
    I believe that the decompression lever is incremental but someone else should be able to give more details
    I seem to remember some engines with the end Brocken off at the drive pin hole ?
    Last edited by scottie; 19-09-19 at 10:42.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    Starting handle is a euphemism it’s more of a method of barring the engine over l am not sure if any normal person ever managed to hand start a 2000 series in situ perhaps a warm engine in on a test rig!
    I would also consider a fresh supply of fuel and if pos some fuel system washers there used to be a set available
    The fuel lift pump can be tricky if the engine stops with the cam in the wrong position which prevents the hand primer working
    A fresh battery with leads would also be useful
    I believe that the decompression lever is incremental but someone else should be able to give more details
    I seem to remember some engines with the end Brocken off at the drive pin hole ?
    I agree that it must be difficult to hand-start a Volvo 2003 - there isn't a large flywheel, so you can't wind it up with the decompressor on and then drop the compressor to allow the flywheel to take it over for a few turns, which is how we started the Sabb 6-8hp on my Dad's boat in the 60s. That was bad enough! People on here have claimed to do it, though - all I can say is that they must be younger and stronger than I am, or else they have a tame gorilla on board!

Yes, you could manage a starting handle start on the single cylinder, just about on the two, but the three cylinder no chance. Although the extra adrenalin if you were drifting on to rocks might give you the extra strength required! Depends on installation too, there needs to be room for you to perform all the body movements required! But yes more a method of turning engine over to check valve clearances!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Alternatively, set throttle to the midpoint, pull the stop out twice, crank engine and throttle back when it fires.

Check water is exiting with the exhaust.
    You can do it this way, but it will not activate the cold start system.

It helps to understand how the system works ... with the engine on full throttle, the fuel rack is set to the normal maximum position. When you pull the "stop" lever, it lifts the gate, allowing the fuel rack to slide forward to a "cold start" position. When the engine revs, it will slide back to the normal running position. Closing the throttle a little before the engine has started will also allow the rack to slide back, cancelling the cold start.

Pulling the "stop" lever whilst the fuel rack is in a mid throttle position has no effect. The fuel rack is not pushed up agaisnt the end stop, so when the gate is lifted it stays exactly where it was, and does not slide forward to the cold start position. Pulling it twice has no benefit over pulling it once.
    Last edited by rszemeti; 19-09-19 at 12:05.

Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    You can do it this way, but it will not activate the cold start system.

It helps to understand how the system works ... with the engine on full throttle, the fuel rack is set to the normal maximum position. When you pull the "stop" lever, it lifts the gate, allowing the fuel rack to slide forward to a "cold start" position. When the engine revs, it will slide back to the normal running position. Closing the throttle a little before the engine has started will also allow the rack to slide back, cancelling the cold start.

Pulling the "stop" lever whilst the fuel rack is in a mid throttle position has no effect. The fuel rack is not pushed up agaisnt the end stop, so when the gate is lifted it stays exactly where it was, and does not slide forward to the cold start position. Pulling it twice has no benefit over pulling it once.
    If that is the case then there is a unknown helper on my boat that makes things happen, but hey I'm just an engineer, what do I know?
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    If that is the case then there is a unknown helper on my boat that makes things happen, but hey I'm just an engineer, what do I know?
    It's probably always started without the help of the cold start mechanism, even though you think you've been setting it. My old 2003T usually did.

What a wealth of experience and information, I am beginning to feel like a Volvo expert without ever laying a hand on one!
    Thank you all so much, I feel absolutely confident when I face the beast for the first time, with you all looking over my shoulder it will start immediately.
    Mike

My concerns were not justified about the engine you all gave so much good advice about.
    Apparently the engine had been started every few weeks, the owner assured me, other than a bit of white crust around the edge of the impeller housing all looked very good.
    I followed the starting procedures as recommended here, 3/4 throttle and just one pull of the stop was all that was required, and I did try a number using a double pull which didn't make any difference (sorry jock) smoke as expected quickly cleared, ran very well, after an hour on two occasions nothing untoward or anything to cause concern.
    Many thanks to one and all again. Mike

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234