Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Better marketing at shows .

We are, as a group, in a strange position. We all seem to see ourselves as Ďthe general publicí but as boat owners we also know we are Ďqualifiedí. So we can see it from both points of view. And I think the consensus is that the general public should be given more respect. And I like that

Actually Iím saying that as potential customers we need to be recognised beyond that of someone just there for a day out.

Sunseeker, the masters of marketing, seem to have model that works for both sides but it does mean you need a permanent chaperone.

The best show for looking at boats is the Swanwick British builders show but of course a limited range from a limited number of builders.....

Thatís why I said Ďconsensusí
    But if the Sunseeker model is let them all aboard and it works while some others is let them eat cake (or caps) and that is not so good.

The disadvantage of the Sunseeker model is a bit of a scrum on the stand. The Princess model has an air of calm about it to a point. It's also nice viewing a boat where it belongs, in the water.

I went to SBS today, really disappointed with Fairline, my local
    Salesman had me whipped past the lovely ladies to take details and was offering beer before I could blink!
    On a serious note, not an issue to access any of the boats I wanted to browse. Some of the reps were a bit head in phone but were responsive and generally knowledgable to any questions I had.

There is a also what I thought a good selection of fringe / lifestyle items.

Likewise. I am here now ( thank you princess for the drinkthat is about to arrive!)

No issues getting on the boats. Shame the new 68 from fairline is not here.

Latest trend is bbq on the back ... with no drain channels so the fat will oose all over the bathing platform !

Itís called a beach club apparently. All the rage these days....

Iím there at the weekend

The snag is that unless you have fat less burgers and steaks god itís going to be a mess. Oh and you canít get to it it anyway as-in the real world your tender will be in the way. Oh and you donít want to see the crew cook !

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Therein lies the problem - punters pay to enter the show and expect to see the boats, exhibitors pay so they can show their boats to who they want. Creates a classic Venn diagram when only the small group in the middle get what they want!
    I think that hits nail on head. It is easy to argue in luxury goods generally that the seller may qualify people who ask to look around - the front door to Graff diamonds on Bond Street is closed. BUT at a boat show people have bought a ticket, and that changes everything. I don't have the answer but MarkC describes the problem well

I spent 2 days at Cannes and EVERY big boat stand had a qualifying desk. Fairline was no different and no worse than the others imho. I don't think you could walk on any of the big boats just browsing on your own. I haven't been to Southampton show yet.

I like Porto's technology solution but it is only part of the answer. As a minimum, if shows continue to include qualification and denials of boarding, that should be made clear to punters when buying a ticket. Also Porto I loved the irony in your link, thank you https://introtweet.com/clients/burgess-yachts/ (Both threads pulled, alas, suppressing free speech, but life is too short to over worry about that in this context).

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    I think that hits nail on head. It is easy to argue in luxury goods generally that the seller may qualify people who ask to look around - the front door to Graff diamonds on Bond Street is closed. BUT at a boat show people have bought a ticket, and that changes everything. I don't have the answer but MarkC describes the problem well

I spent 2 days at Cannes and EVERY big boat stand had a qualifying desk. Fairline was no different and no worse than the others imho. I don't think you could walk on any of the big boats just browsing on your own. I haven't been to Southampton show yet.

I like Porto's technology solution but it is only part of the answer. As a minimum, if shows continue to include qualification and denials of boarding, that should be made clear to punters when buying a ticket. Also Porto I loved the irony in your link, thank you https://introtweet.com/clients/burgess-yachts/ (Both threads pulled, alas, suppressing free speech, but life is too short to over worry about that in this context).
    I think there is no end to this debate and agree with the above. To be honest if I paid to get in to the show and was told I couldn't get on any boat unless I qualified I wouldn't go to the show. I think vendors just have to play it by ear and be sensible. Princess seemed to me to get it right. They had lots of people and managed entry and exit on each boat in a sensible way and also boat by boat. they also had lots of boats. At Fairline they had hardly any boats and managed the process centrally so for example we were asked to give our name and then come back in 20 minutes. which isn't a great start to persuade me to buy a new boat but then again as I am not going to buy a new boat they haven't lost anything. So we stood behind the 50 and to be fair the rep showing the boat saw us and just told us to step around the barrier and was happy to let us look around. Ultimately I suspect that if you want to buy a boat you will deal with each of these guys separately away from the boat show and make up your mind which one you want. The boat show is therefore I suspect really there to get the undecided or unknowing buyer fired up. As such important to have a good balance and Princess really do this well, which I suspect is largely due to who runs the process.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast