Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Leisure 17 SL "Centre Board"

Hello ,

I am a Bavarian lake sailor and reaching the age, when my knees,back and hips are starting to say good bye to dinghy sailing, so i am looking for a more convienient toy to rumble the lakes in southern Bavaria. As my Garage, used as a winterstorage until now, is only 6,5 m long and my wife going mad about my previous idea to use the protected veranda in front of the livingroom as a boat storage in winter :-), i search for an old mans boat around 5 meters length and came to the old Leisure 17. Now i have an offer for an L17SL single keel and Centre Board !!!??????

What is a Leisure 17 with Centre Board? I cant find anything about this type of boat, except:

https://www.c1333564.myzen.co.uk/res...FormExtras.pdf

On this pricelist a CentreBoard-version is offered by Cobramold in 1986.

As the boat i am after now is located now about 500 km from my place, i want to collect some infos before i hit the road to go there.

Is anybody able to help me and provide me with infos about this boat?

thanks in advance and fair winds to all

Christian

ps: i was trying to post this on the leisure owner association, but could not find out how to post without paying the member fee.

Default Re: Leisure 17 SL "Centre Board"

Quote Originally Posted by Christian0061 View Post
    Hello ,

I am a Bavarian lake sailor and reaching the age, when my knees,back and hips are starting to say good bye to dinghy sailing, so i am looking for a more convienient toy to rumble the lakes in southern Bavaria. As my Garage, used as a winterstorage until now, is only 6,5 m long and my wife going mad about my previous idea to use the protected veranda in front of the livingroom as a boat storage in winter :-), i search for an old mans boat around 5 meters length and came to the old Leisure 17. Now i have an offer for an L17SL single keel and Centre Board !!!??????

What is a Leisure 17 with Centre Board? I cant find anything about this type of boat, except:

As the boat i am after now is located now about 500 km from my place, i want to collect some infos before i hit the road to go there.

Christian

ps: i was trying to post this on the leisure owner association, but could not find out how to post without paying the member fee.
    Hi Christian,

It's not possible to post on the LOA forum without joining, however if you are on Facebook there is a group there.

Also, it would be well worth while emailing Colin ( contact details here: https://www.leisureowners.org.uk/new-page-2 ) as he is a fountain of knowledge.

Regards

David
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

Quote Originally Posted by Christian0061 View Post
    Hello ,

Christian

Probably one the best ever boats of it's size . Sunstar 18, by the same designer, is almost identical.
    Presumably you have seen this info from the LOA https://www.leisureowners.org.uk/leisure-17-17sl

I would think it is well worth joining the LOA for only £10

I am familiar with the Leisure 17 & SL deck version, also the Sunstar 18 one of which is on a mooring next to mine - they came in the very rarely opted fin keel, 99.9% twin ( not bilge with a stub ) keels.

I have the original Leisure 17 brochure in front of me, no mention of a lift keel option.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    I am familiar with the Leisure 17 & SL deck version, also the Sunstar 18 one of which is on a mooring next to mine - they came in the very rarely opted fin keel, 99.9% twin ( not bilge with a stub ) keels.

I have the original Leisure 17 brochure in front of me, no mention of a lift keel option.
    See the link I posted earlier and look at the 1986 spec. Mentioned there

My first ‘cruiser’ was a Leisure 17 back in the early 70’s, great little boat we regularly sailed from Mudeford to Cherbourg in it, no modern electronics then, a mechanical log, Seafarer echo sounder, compass, VHF radio Seafarer RDF (hunt the null) and charts for DR. Most of the 17’s we used to see seemed to be bilge with the occasional fin, but interesting to learn that there was a single keel version with a centre board, I wonder how many were made.

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.

I sail a L17, standard bilge keel original version.

I have access to the LOA forum and I have just done a search and there is no reference anywhere to centre board, lift keel etc

According to Sailboatdate.com the Leisure 17 was built by Cobramold and Brinecraft in UK, then built in Germany, then Greece, then finally Germany again, where they were produced only to 'special order'.

It seems to me quite feasible that at some point one or more centreboarder L17s could have been built. (I am aware of other builders who, having taken over an existing design, tried to broaden its appeal/sales by offering an extra keel configuration.)

On the other hand, it would not be the first time that a boat has been advertised as something it is not!

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.

Why would you be in such a hurry to buy a centreboard L17 if it does exist? you would have a rare boat that you won't get much help and support about.

Just buy one of the many hundreds of standard L17's. Fine little seaworthy sailing boats that they are.

Quote Originally Posted by ProDave View Post
    Why would you be in such a hurry to buy a centreboard L17 if it does exist? you would have a rare boat that you won't get much help and support about.

Just buy one of the many hundreds of standard L17's. Fine little seaworthy sailing boats that they are.
    i can't imagine a centreboard in a L17 being particularly complex or difficult to maintain, or any other reason to avoid it.

A centreboard would make it easier getting on and off a trailer, and the rarity would itself be appealing to some people.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast