Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.

Default Re: Leisure 17 SL "Centre Board"

Quote Originally Posted by William_H View Post
    Put it back on the swing mooring last Friday for the new season. About 1.5 hrs from home to back home again. Then blitzed them on Sunday in a race. ol'will
    It's always nice to hear from down under. It is only I think 3 weeks until our crane out. Just heading off shortly for a sail today, which might end up being the last of the season here.

I own a Honda Outboard 2.3, 4 Stroke ( under 15 kg). This should be enough! As we are only allowed to use gasoline motor in case of emergency or one hour before sunset to reach the mooring. Maybe i am gonna put electrical motor, a battery and solarpaneel on the boat, so it can load up the battery during week to keep me going on weekend?

@William_H: I am located at the northside of the Alps and we have pretty strong winters here, temperatur down to - 15 ° Celsius and lots of snow. The load of 1 meter of snow presses easily through any joint or screw or textile boatcover. So i save a lot of work and keep my boat tidy. If i have some epoxy, varnish or paint-work to do i need temperatures over 15 ° C at least to harden the stuff propperly. But when we reach 15° C here outside, i want my boat to be in the water allready! :-) So i just heat the oven in the garage and do the job in January.

I looked at some L17s in the Net to find out what i need.
    1. I want a anchor locker. I cant understand, why so many british or swedish boats from the 70th-80th are coming without anchor locker? if you fix your anchor on the pulpit or the deck somewhere close to the bow, i guess i always will get in trouble with hoisting or downhauling the jib or with the jibsheets
    2. i dont need these single berths for children on both sides under the cockpit. i think this is senseless storage area, where you ll never find what you are looking for. i saw there are some modells with a huge cockpitlocker on starboard instead of the berth downstairs. this seems to me a better solution.

ok, we will see? :-)

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.

Ours does not have an anchor locker. the anchor lives strapped to the side of the pulpit. It does not seem to get in the way of day to day sailing jobs.

There is another L17 in our harbour, a later version I believe with some subtle differences in the deck moulding. That one has an anchor locker, but it does not look very big and might restrict your choice of anchor.

To be honest I would not get too bogged down in wanting a particular feature or version. I would concentrate on looking at what is available and judge it on it's merits mainly it's condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian0061 View Post
    I own a Honda Outboard 2.3, 4 Stroke ( under 15 kg). This should be enough! As we are only allowed to use gasoline motor in case of emergency or one hour before sunset to reach the mooring. Maybe i am gonna put electrical motor, a battery and solarpaneel on the boat, so it can load up the battery during week to keep me going on weekend?

@William_H: I am located at the northside of the Alps and we have pretty strong winters here, temperatur down to - 15 ° Celsius and lots of snow. The load of 1 meter of snow presses easily through any joint or screw or textile boatcover. So i save a lot of work and keep my boat tidy. If i have some epoxy, varnish or paint-work to do i need temperatures over 15 ° C at least to harden the stuff propperly. But when we reach 15° C here outside, i want my boat to be in the water allready! :-) So i just heat the oven in the garage and do the job in January.

I looked at some L17s in the Net to find out what i need.
    1. I want a anchor locker. I cant understand, why so many british or swedish boats from the 70th-80th are coming without anchor locker? if you fix your anchor on the pulpit or the deck somewhere close to the bow, i guess i always will get in trouble with hoisting or downhauling the jib or with the jibsheets
    2. i dont need these single berths for children on both sides under the cockpit. i think this is senseless storage area, where you ll never find what you are looking for. i saw there are some modells with a huge cockpitlocker on starboard instead of the berth downstairs. this seems to me a better solution.

ok, we will see? :-)
    Sorry to be honest I have no concept of your winters. Don't even get a frost here. Regarding quarter berths as they are called where your feet extend under the sides of the cockpit. I find they are just the best berths on my little boat. Of course it is a matter of just how far in your feet go. The best compromise is a locker in the cockpit seat well aft so you get room for feet like about .8 metre. Those huge lockers under the okpit seat that extend down to the hull are just a way of losing things or having things out of reach. A smaller shallow locker is far better. ol'will

A Honda 2.3 will have enough power on a lake but you really need a long shaft version on the Leisure 17 to submerge the prop enough and still have the control arm at a convenient height. I had a Mariner 4 two stroke long shaft on mine which gave just enough push against the flooding tide. I think you'd be happy with any keel version.

Report of Success! :-)

Since yesterday i am the proud owner of a leisure 17 SL, built 1980 :-), Bilge Keel, with anchor locker and a cockpit locker, good sails and structural in very good shape and a perfect trailer. These bilgekeels are sitting so nicely on the trailer. it was really a pleasure to tow the boat home.

"The difference between a man and boy is just the price of his toy! ":-)

Thanks a lot for all comments.

Great, have fun!

Congratulations
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

Well done, you'll have heaps of fun with her, I daresay more than if you had a Hallberg Rassey...
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Well done, you'll have heaps of fun with her, I daresay more than if you had a Hallberg Rassey...
    +1 to that
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast