Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Leisure 17 SL "Centre Board"

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    See the link I posted earlier and look at the 1986 spec. Mentioned there
    I can't see any mention of a lift keeler - which post # ?
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

The website shown in the OP shows a price list and it does offer a centre board version at £4,300, the list also offers a transport cradle for use with the centre board model.
    Last edited by Praxinoscope; 17-09-19 at 17:36. Reason: Wording change.

Thanks - I'd be surprised if they got into double figures as the twin keeler is so good - though calling the keels ' high aspect ratio ' is pushing it a bit !

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Thanks - I'd be surprised if they got into double figures as the twin keeler is so good - though calling the keels ' high aspect ratio ' is pushing it a bit !
    They are probably referring to the Angle of Attack, i.e. the keels are splayed out slightly rather than being parallel to the centreline, in much the same way that an aircraft's wings are angled upwards relative to the fuselage datum line. This countervails the luffing-up effect of the curvature of the hull when the boat is heeled.
    There is some element of "high-aspect-ratio" also, in that the keels are quite thin, and their curvature is very shallow, in much the same way that the wings of the Mustang, and later high performance aircraft were, in relation to the wings of, for example the Hurricane and the Spitfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit (of Glenans) View Post
    They are probably referring to the Angle of Attack, i.e. the keels are splayed out slightly rather than being parallel to the centreline, in much the same way that an aircraft's wings are angled upwards relative to the fuselage datum line. This countervails the luffing-up effect of the curvature of the hull when the boat is heeled.
    There is some element of "high-aspect-ratio" also, in that the keels are quite thin, and their curvature is very shallow, in much the same way that the wings of the Mustang, and later high performance aircraft were, in relation to the wings of, for example the Hurricane and the Spitfire.
    Angle of attack - alpha - and thickness of wing - chord - are different things, high aspect ratio usually means a long thin wing ( or keel ) such as gliders or U-2 aircraft, or Listang / Hunter 701 / Anderson 22 boats; and no the keel doesn't stall usually, it takes someone like David Harding on his review for PBO to provoke it

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/anderson-22
    Last edited by Seajet; 17-09-19 at 20:43.

Thanks a lot for all your comments!

It seems it needs a german bloke from the Alps to find out about a well kept british boating industry secret? :-) The Centre Board-Error!

The Leisure 17 is one of the most famous english sailboats i guess, maybe outnumbered only by the Centaur and the Mirror :-), but nobody knows about this centre Boat version?

Lets call it " The Riddle of the L17s". ( btw. Is " The Riddle of the sands" a famous book in GB? For me, it was THE book which pushed me into sailing and showed me the first basics of Geo-Politics in my teenage. )
    Maybe i should buy the boat as an investment and sell it to a british marine enthusiastic billionaire after a while? lol...Funding-project: She s coming home! :-)
    But to sail the boat, i better keep on searching for a well kept L17 with Bilge Keels.

Thanks again, Best Regards and 6 inches of water under your keels

Christian

Christian,

for your purposes ie fitting into your garage there is simply no better boat than a twin keel Leisure 17, they're lovely rewarding boats to sail and go much faster than their waterline length suggest, seaworthy too if you take the right precautions like tied on clamp down locker lids.

Check the height in your garage re air draft.

The boat was designed by Arthur Howard with the current 2- stroke engines in mind - so my advice would be to get a good secondhand Yamaha / Mariner 4-5 hp two stroke as a new heavy 4 stroke would cripple her stern down !

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.

We have a Tohatsu 3.5hp 4 stroke on ours. Not too heavy and seems adequate. Perhaps it's less good feature is no reverse, so to go backwards, you rotate it 180 degrees. But it still works for reversing off the pontoon in the harbour.

I might argue it's still a lot of weight just where the boat doesn't want it, but the ability to swivel the engine 360 degrees must be jolly handy. Harrier pilots' motto; ' Happiness Is Vectored Thrust '

I wonder why OP thinks it is important to be able to store his boat under cover. I would think any GRP boat could be left outside through winter. That would leave OP open to larger boats. I have a 6.5 m with lift keel (like a dinghy) That makes for a high aspect ratio fin keel and a boat very easy to retrieve onto the trailer. Indeed I can winch it on with the trailer only partially in the water such that bearings are not wet. The keel is ballasted 100kg with more ballast under floor. The end result is a very good performing sail boat. That is self righting. Now I know this is an Oz boat so not seen in Europe but there must be similar available. The down side is that the mast support morfs into 2 supports with space for the keel to come up to the roof and a CB case so access to forward cabin is not so easy. Anyway had it for 39 years now so obviously happy with it. Put it back on the swing mooring last Friday for the new season. About 1.5 hrs from home to back home again. Then blitzed them on Sunday in a race. ol'will

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast