Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polperro

Default Polperro

Thinking of looking in at Polperro next week on way to Fowey. Not an overnight stop. Reeds says moor fore and aft on a couple of buoys at the harbour entrance. Photos seem to show these taken up by fishing boats. Is it viable to anchor near the harbour entrance? For a quick stop this would probably be preferable to rafting up.

Default Re: Polperro

I have picked up moorings there, and anchored off in fair weather.
    Much better idea than going there by car.
    Moorings suit smaller boats IIRC.
    When we anchored 'near' the entrance it was a short outboard ride rather than a row, but then I'm lazy...

Thanks; I guess 4.4 tons counts as small

There are a couple of V-moorings inside on the left/south side. There's also occasional space against the south harbour wall, just inside the entrance, but that also is regularly used by local fishermen - who own the harbour. Give the harbourmaster a call.

I was in there earlier this year. No signs of rafting but they do fit two boats between a pair of buoys so arrange your lines so that you are near to one of them. At least one long line essential.
    Some boats anchored outside the entrance as well but this was very settled weather.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    There are a couple of V-moorings inside on the left/south side. There's also occasional space against the south harbour wall, just inside the entrance, but that also is regularly used by local fishermen - who own the harbour. Give the harbourmaster a call.
    There were a pair of moorings on each side of the approach channel earlier this year.

There should be two sets of three trot moorings, with the Fairway in between. Mooring is fore and aft between two buoys, but not just on one as you may block the Fairway. The outer buoys require rather long warps, as has been mentioned. The Easterly moorings may be used by the local fishermen, so best to phone Ollie, the HM on 07966 528045. He will advise you. Overnight fee last year was £10, payable in the local pub!

Quote Originally Posted by Appledore View Post
    There should be two sets of three trot moorings, with the Fairway in between. Mooring is fore and aft between two buoys, but not just on one as you may block the Fairway. The outer buoys require rather long warps, as has been mentioned. The Easterly moorings may be used by the local fishermen, so best to phone Ollie, the HM on 07966 528045. He will advise you. Overnight fee last year was £10, payable in the local pub!
    Overnight fee £10 this year too - paid in the Blue Peter - good excuse to row ashore for a cheeky pint.

We didn't have long enough lines and ended up knotting together a warp and an old sheet in order to get the length. The local fishermen and harbourmaster were all extremely friendly and helpful. It's now one of our favourite places, well worth a visit.

For many years a favourite overnight spot for us going to, or coming from, the Scillies. This is us anchored off, taken as I recall from the Blue Peter. The cove is more sheltered than one might think, though obviously not if the wind has any south in it.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    ....... This is us anchored off........
    For the avoidance of doubt, do you really mean 'anchored' in that position? I think Appledore has it right.

I confess to having failed to get favourable conditions for a stay at Polperro and have since moved away from the area so my info dates from before 2016.

My photos show 1. A yacht anchored off the entrance, 2. A home made aide-memoire of the entrance and 3. A view of the buoys in the entrance from above on the cliff.

Could someone confirm if they are still valid?

Cheers
    Bob

PolperroLL & Anchored Off_6069.jpg

Polperro buoys_9890.jpg

Polperro_9194.jpg
    Trying not to extrapolate from zero

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast