Default New Victron MPPT Firmware

Victron have released new firmware for their solar controllers (1.42). It includes an “expert” mode that allows the adjustment of settings that were previously fixed.

Importantly, it allows for tail current to be adjusted or even disabled. Yeah! This should remove the serious and annoying conflict that I have been complaining about for a long time. It occurred when multiple solar controllers (or other charge sources) were used.

Thank you Victron. This removes a major problem with these controllers.

Caution:

I have only just loaded this software. It appears very stable and adds a great deal of functionality, but I have not had a chance to fully evaluate how it works.

Default Re: New Victron MPPT Firmware

Thanks for that, 'noelex'.

Sounds like it could be 'just the thing'..... I'll chase them up for chapter and verse.

I updated my MPPT and BMV the other day, both of which had new firmware available.

Be good to have multiple MPPT working together nicely. Fitted some to a work boat not so long ago and it needed 2 controllers as panels were very far apart, will revisit next week to update both.
    Electrical & heating engineer, Diesel remaps, Custom panels
    Southwold & Ipswich Yards

Be aware that the switch to 1.42 is a significant change.

The way the controller deals with absorption time is completely different. Previously the Victron controllers simply counted the time after the absorption voltage set point was first reached. If the battery voltage dropped below the set point the time was still counted down.

1.42 introduces a more sophisticated absorption timer. After this software update only the time at (or very close to) the absorption voltage is now counted.

So the absorption time will need to be reduced to achieve the same effect. Note this my view only. Victron have not suggested this, as far as I am aware.

Absorption time is something that needs to evaluated for every installation anyway so it does not hurt to re-check the correct value for this parameter. As this software change is new, I have only observed the solar performance for a small number of cycles, but my current impression is that my absorption time will needed to be set at around 1/2 the previous value in my case, so the change is quite significant.

Quote Originally Posted by noelex View Post
    Be aware that the switch to 1.42 is a significant change.

The way the controller deals with absorption time is completely different. Previously the Victron controllers simply counted the time after the absorption voltage set point was first reached. If the battery voltage dropped below the set point the time was still counted down.

1.42 introduces a more sophisticated absorption timer. After this software update only the time at (or very close to) the absorption voltage is now counted.

So the absorption time will need to be reduced to achieve the same effect. Note this my view only. Victron have not suggested this, as far as I am aware.

Absorption time is something that needs to evaluated for every installation anyway so it does not hurt to re-check the correct value for this parameter. As this software change is new, I have only observed the solar performance for a small number of cycles, but my current impression is that my absorption time will needed to be set at around 1/2 the previous value in my case, so the change is quite significant.
    How did you determine you needed to set the absorption time to 1/2? I am assuming you are setting the batteries in expert mode?

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    How did you determine you needed to set the absorption time to 1/2? I am assuming you are setting the batteries in expert mode?
    Halving the old absorption time when moving from the old firmware to the new firmware is an estimate. It will take a few more cycles under different conditions to come up with an accurate number. It will also vary depending on the system.

Absorption time is something that needs to evaluated for every installation anyway so it does not hurt to re-check the correct value for this parameter.

On my own system I have currently reduced the absorption time by 25%. The new absorption time was still too long on the last cycle that was today, but not by much so perhaps the final result will be less than halved, but it is a very significant difference.

This change needs to be made just as a result of updating the firmware even if you do not make any other advanced alterations. The Victron default absorption time was set for the old firmware. The new firmware calculates the absorption time in a completely different way.