Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default wind tide problem this friday

I am returning my motorsailer to the clyde end of this week via Mull of Kintyre. Forecast saturday looks like 25 to 30 knot from SE so will be wind over tide. Could try for friday, again 15 knots from SE, so same scenario but if doable should I go wide, ie heading towards Irish coast for a bit of protection leaving Sanda to port?
    Question for those with more knowledge than I is, in those conditions would it be better to go later in the day against wind and tide?
    Crinan canal not an option.
    Comments please
    Thanks
    Jerry

Default Re: wind tide problem this friday

Just came round 2 days ago. F6 W until 5 miles off the Mull then nothing. Anchored at Sanda overnight very calm. Wind got up again in the morning F7 W nearly all the way to Rothesay. That doesn't happen very often. Much stronger than forecast. Personally I wouldn't attempt to go round with any headwind at all. It's often a good bit stronger than forecast at the Mull. If you've got a good engine you might manage if you time it for slack at Sron Uamha. There's good advice in the various pilots of course but as close in as possible less than a cable off usually works for me. It can feel a bit intimidating though.

One more point. You can't really plan using a forecast that far ahead. Even a 24 hour forecast can be out as we found. The best strategy is to get as close as possible before making a decision. Port Ellen is always a nice cosy place to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Five View Post
    I am returning my motorsailer to the clyde end of this week via Mull of Kintyre. Forecast saturday looks like 25 to 30 knot from SE so will be wind over tide.
    I would absolutely not even think about it with that forecast. Even five miles off is likely to be character forming.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

It's variable. Wind can often drop overnight. But suggest don't rely on it...

Last time we came round that way, in January, overnight we got a bit thrashed. Forecast 5 gusting 7, became 7 gusting 9...

Not keen on ever repeating. We went out wide. Watch TSS also

Quote Originally Posted by bikedaft View Post
    Watch TSS also
    Though since there are never any ships in it, as long as you switch off your AIS ...
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Though since there are never any ships in it, as long as you switch off your AIS ...
    Why have a traffic separation scheme when there’s no traffic to separate?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Radar?

Quote Originally Posted by bikedaft View Post
    Radar?
    If it's rough enough to worry you the chances of being seen in the clutter are small.
    As for Pete's question - I think it's so that ships on autopilot don't run into each other.

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    If it's rough enough to worry you the chances of being seen in the clutter are small.
    As for Pete's question - I think it's so that ships on autopilot don't run into each other.
    it has got me wondering where the radar would be? there certainly isn't any along MOK W shore. haven't noticed any around Rathlin, tho i guess it could be higher up on the mainland? Islay? cannot recall any there?

pretty sure this particular part of sea would be well covered though for security reasons

we may have transgressed slightly the last time, although i was trying hard not to, wind was too strong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast