Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: wind tide problem this friday

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Why have a traffic separation scheme when there’s no traffic to separate?
    It beats me. There seems to be far more traffic up and down the North Channel, and that manages fine without a TSS.

Quote Originally Posted by bikedaft View Post
    Radar?
    They might see you with radar, but they can't identify you with radar ...
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Me Glasgow, boat Kip in winter, Craobh in summer

I am also heading round the MoK to the Clyde starting this weekend and watching the weather. At the moment, Saturday is a no go for me, Sunday onwards looks better. I am in the fortunate position of having next week off work, so will wait for a window:-). Bear in mind that the wind at the Mull is often 10 knots more than forecast due to local effects.
    Angus

It is the North Channel TSS. Saw a tanker this time round the first time I've seen anything big for years. We finished up unintentionally in Rathlin once after being rolled 90 degrees. The TSS was the least of our worries. I see there are online weather stations at Port Ellen and Machrihanish does anyone ever use these. It strikes me they are probably of limited use if you don't know how the anemometer is sited.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Five View Post
    Crinan canal not an option.
    Definitely? It can be quite fast with a pilot and there shouldn't be much conflicting traffic at this time of year.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Why have a traffic separation scheme when there’s no traffic to separate?
    Indeed, a good question. Anybody used to sailing in the Channel, or the Baltic would laugh at this TSS - typically one might have the TSS in sight for 3-4 hours when sailing to/from the Mull of Kintyre, and be excited to see a single ship in that time!

And I am not convinced that there is any radar tracking of the TSS. When I came round I saw the statutory single ship in 4 hours, but later heard a second (!) ship calling the Coastguard to report another vessel going the wrong way up the TSS. This was news to the Coastguard who simply tried calling the other vessel on Channel 16. Not surprisingly the miscreant failed to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Definitely? It can be quite fast with a pilot and there shouldn't be much conflicting traffic at this time of year.
    Two boats a day just now but they are now closing at 16-00, about four times as many rounding the Mull this morning and that was just those showin on AIS.
    But there is an incentive, Tarbert Music Festival this weekend. Last time we went to that we had two guys in a yacht rafted up beside us,we had just gone to bed when they returned with two 'girls'. They gave them a drink in the cockpit and then spent the rest of the night offering reasons why they should all move below, still trying after daylight, my wife would not let me go up to offer advice or encouragement.

Many thanks to those who replied to my question.
    We rounded yesterday morning without too much trouble. Having said that I can imagine the sea state if there was more wind and would not fancy that one little bit.
    Jerry

Magic day for it ☺

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12