Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Foamed-in buoyancy

Thinking of doing this to replace the odd lumps of foam which count as buoyancy in a Mk1 Shrimper. Anyone done this recently? Any advice as to which foam?

Default Re: Foamed-in buoyancy

If you mean pouring 2-part expanding foam into the tanks I wouldn't recommend it unless you can isolate the foam from the structure of the boat.
    On one boat I saw treated this way the foam bonded incredibly well to the inside of the hull, and then over time (a couple of years) it started to shrink, distorting the hull. It was a hell of a job to cut it out.

Definitely NOT expanding foam, as it's not closed cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Trundlebug View Post
    Definitely NOT expanding foam, as it's not closed cell.
    Some is, for example https://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co....ne-foam-liquid, which I used in a dinghy.

It may say closed cell but ask any boatbuilder worth his salt, it isnt. All of it soaks water up eventually. Horrible stuff.

I wanted a flat floor to two small lockers in a dry part of my boat, up forward, so I used 2-part expanding foam and fibreglassed in a ply panel on top.
    Reasonable results.
    Though it was quite hard to make the top surface flat, needing several applications to fill in the gaps.
    (I didn’t dare to use it in a closed compartment for fear of it bursting it! Though I suppose I could have measured the volume.)

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.

Empty plastic water bottles are clean and easy to remove if time takes it's toll. Likewise wine bags and they tesselate better.

As suggested above, I have had many an unpleasant day cutting out o.e. waterlogged foam.

If i was a potential buyer of your boat and i saw poured in foam I would walk away. I too have seen what can result with waterlogging and distortion.
    Aiming to live forever or die in the attempt!

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Years ago I made a lot of grp canoes and filled the ends with two-pack polyurethane foam, supposedly closed-cell. The canoes were used by youth groups, so suffered considerable exposure to water. After a couple of years the foam was utterly saturated and it took me a great deal of effort to dig it all out. Professionally built canoes use polystyrene buoyancy for good reason.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Have you looked at dinghy buoyancy air bags, loads of differing shapes and sizes and not too costly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast