Default Volvo MD22 Elecrical Gremlins

Less than one week ago, I posted the following:-

With the engine OFF, I inadvertently left the Ignition Switch in the 'Operating Position' (Position 1) on my Volvo MD22P. After several hours, I was alerted to this situation by the flashing of one of the alternator warning lights and the sounding of the warning horn.
    I started the engine and checked the output of both alternators which were normal. I measured about 60 amp initial output each, with domestic battery at 12.5 volts).I have standard Volvo spec Valeo Alternators) However, the warning light and horn are triggered whenever the engine is started.
    Could I have burned out a Diode, however,I am confused by the fact that both Start and Domestic Batteries are being correctly charged.

This problem has NOW morphed into the following:-
    With the Ignition Switch On (position 1) and Engine OFF, contrary to the previous symptons, initially NO warning lights illuminate. After approximately 30 seconds the Oil Low Pressure light illuminates and the warning horn sounds.
    The Test Switch functions correctly showing all warning lights when pressed.
    The Engine starts normally and both alternators charge correctly and the Oil LP light extinguishes.
    NO warnings are now received with engine RUNNING.
    Should I just forget about the problem, or should I be concerned.

Default Re: Volvo MD22 Elecrical Gremlins

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshythe View Post

With the engine OFF, I inadvertently left the Ignition Switch in the 'Operating Position' (Position 1) on my Volvo MD22P. After several hours, I was alerted to this situation by the flashing of one of the alternator warning lights and the sounding of the warning horn.
    I started the engine and checked the output of both alternators which were normal. I measured about 60 amp initial output each, with domestic battery at 12.5 volts).I have standard Volvo spec Valeo Alternators) However, the warning light and horn are triggered whenever the engine is started.
    Could I have burned out a Diode, however,I am confused by the fact that both Start and Domestic Batteries are being correctly charged.

With the Ignition Switch On (position 1) and Engine OFF, contrary to the previous symptons, initially NO warning lights illuminate. After approximately 30 seconds the Oil Low Pressure light illuminates and the warning horn sounds.
    The Engine starts normally and both alternators charge correctly and the Oil LP light extinguishes.
    I would want to satisfy myself that alarms will be triggered by fault conditions .
    By fault conditions I mean overheating, low oil pressure or no charge. The no-charge warning is important because it warns of a water pump and alternator drive belt failure

The first two are easy to simulate The no charge not so easy but someone will think of a way.
    Last edited by VicS; 18-09-19 at 10:00.

Default Re: Volvo MD22 Elecrical Gremlins

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshythe View Post

There are several connections in the loom, a couple under the switch panel, and numerous in the black box at the side and back of the engine. there are relays in there plus auto fuses. Plus an earth fuse to the engine. All in the area underneath the raw water pump. Not a good place from the point of view of seawater corrosion! I suspect bad connections. Undo the connections under the panel. Clean and lube with Vaseline or a proprietory contact lube. Take the plastic cover off the relay box on the engine. Take off the auto reset fuses and relays underneath them. One is for the starter, one for the glow plugs and one for the engine earth for the glow plugs and stop solenoid. Do similar. Check the engine earth fuse by undoing and cleaning the connector nuts and faces. Basically eliminate any corrosion points.