Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Is a Sigma 38 too lively to singlehand?

Quote Originally Posted by James W View Post
    I'm well aware that the Sigma is an OOD and designed to be sailed with a large crew but, is it too much to sail singlehanded?

Is it not possible to sail it more conservatively and not cranked up to the max?

Thinking of looking at one, bit wondering if I should save myself the drive?

Thanks,

James
    Make sure you can handle that big main, when dropping it, I sailed one with a very slippery sail no lazyjacks or boom bag, which was a nightmare to control even with 2 or more up on deck flaking.

Size is not the problem if the boat is set up for singlehanding. That means all the controls you usually need in places where you can easily reach them, a good autopilot and lazyjacks.
    I regularly singlehand my 39 footer which has no bowthruster and it all goes without drama provided I think through the maneuvers before actually doing them. I find singlehanding has seriously improved my boathandling.

The only problems I can think of will be the lack of a furler and the bolt rope on the main.
    The main will be a bitch to drop and hoist solo if its not captive. A furler will make the headsail much easier even though even the no. 1 isn't large. The kites are perfect for short handed sailing, nice and small.
    I had a 38, 41 and 362 before I had my Dehler 39. None of those boats was a problem solo when set up properly.
    Go for it.
    Real men do it two handed

Quote Originally Posted by doris View Post
    The only problems I can think of will be the lack of a furler and the bolt rope on the main.
    The main will be a bitch to drop and hoist solo if its not captive. A furler will make the headsail much easier even though even the no. 1 isn't large. The kites are perfect for short handed sailing, nice and small.
    I had a 38, 41 and 362 before I had my Dehler 39. None of those boats was a problem solo when set up properly.
    Go for it.
    Agreed, but many Sigma 38s (like ours) are cruised and have a furler that can quickly be added to the foil plus a captive main with high cut foot, we rarely cruised with our OD sails.

I am sure you will be ok, there has been some good advice about the sail wardrobe and you potentially have a crew available and two more coming along.

Just one word of caution, we are a broad church and when someone says "I regularly singlehand my 75 foot pilot cutter" what they may mean is:- Maybe once a season I take my boat out on my own, in good weather, always returning to my convenient berth with lines set up

Which is quite different to getting into a French tidal marina, unseen, in the gloaming, with a force 5 across the deck, and a short pontoon with no cleats. So take it steady, as the others say, sailing is the easy bit, getting alongside needs a bit of thought.

I have a Lightwave 395 - in it's day the alternative choice to a sigma 38 on which I've sailed many times in their racing heyday. I've solo'd and double handed my LW many race and cruising miles over my 14 years of ownership and I'm sure with minor changes a Sigma 38 would be every bit as enjoyable to sail short handed (ask Rob Craigie of SORC, who raced one solo a few years back)
    My LW now has a furling high clew headsail, batten cars, a stackpack, a bloody good autopilot, an ATN kite snuffer and a carbon pole and has done both long'ish solo / double handed races and three month cruising trips without any handling issues. As to berthing, a line on the midships cleat usually solves most short handed challenges.
    Sigma 38's (and Lightwaves if you can find one) offer great value these days, I looked for one when I bought my Lightwave but sadly most of them had been beaten to death by sailing schools...

Some fantastic advice there, thanks so much everyone.

I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

I single hand my Dragonfly 920. It's has the same sail white sail area as a Sigma 38 driving hulls weighing only 2 tonnes, so that's a lively boat compared to a relatively pedestrian Sigma 38, but I manage it fine, so I don't see why you wouldn't. Contrary to what doug478 says, I sailed 2000 miles this year, all of them on my own, and in winds where some days I wished I'd stayed in bed that day.
    Andersen 22. The best winch never made.
    miniwinwm.wixsite.com/miniwinwm

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Single handed is not quite the same as not on your own.
    If better half can help with mooring up etc by putting the children in the cabin for a few minutes and grab the first cleat your sailing. lfe is much easier. Ditto bits like stowing the main. Only needs a couple of minutes which can be managed with a bit of planning between you.

Go see the boat..... and report back.
    Viewed the boat today. My god, they certainly look fast!!

I know that she was raced in a former life, but can't believe how good she looked on the exterior. The topsides were gleaming and the deck was virtually stress crack and crazing free. The cabin was a slightly different matter, not terribly bad, but the some of the woodwork had seen better days and the floor was a little bashed up. The aft cabins are huge though, and would be perfect for the kids. She also has a proper ram autopilot and (reasonably) up to date electronics, so that's a major plus.

Downsides, the layout is a bit racy with the tiny crew berths, there isn't a whole heap of stowage, and the forward v berth is more 2 singles than a double. Oh, and the engine is a 2000 series VP, not brilliant but it looks well serviced.

So all in all, a nice looking boat. There's a few more to look at yet, but she does tick a lot of boxes.

Thanks to all for your help and experience.

Hello, could someone tell me the headroom of a Sigma 38 ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast