Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Is a Sigma 38 too lively to singlehand?

Quote Originally Posted by BarryWhite View Post
    Hello, could someone tell me the headroom of a Sigma 38 ?
    Depends upon how tall you are.

Anyone buying a boat designed for racing with a full crew siting on the rail should consider wether using the same boat to sail short handed will, perform just as well with reduced sail area , they are designed with the extra righting moment to carry more sail to push the hull through th3 water , reduce power same hull ???

Though the idea of a big boat is nice a one design is designed for racing not cruising. Thus likely to be a lively not a stable boat. I know one can reduce sail to keep her in check but she would be designed fordifferent purposes.

The biggest problem however might be berthing or mooring. A friend is finding it increasingly hard to manage his mere 35ft.

Mid point cleat mooring is fine but the tonnage of boat makes it hard, and forget for and aft trots. You would neither have the strength nor speed to to that.

Even a 6 ton boat is hard to bring to a stand by man strength and a 38 footer weighs much more. Maybe on swinging mooring you might manage by repeat attemps but going into a marina berth on any kind of windy day would risk an insurance job unless you have shore side helpers .

Of course if your wife can assist breifly and leave the kids to their own devices for 5 minutes you are only semi-single handed and the liveleyness of a racing boat is your only concern.
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by markhomer View Post
    Anyone buying a boat designed for racing with a full crew siting on the rail should consider wether using the same boat to sail short handed will, perform just as well with reduced sail area , they are designed with the extra righting moment to carry more sail to push the hull through th3 water , reduce power same hull ???
    If you're talking about a sportsboat designed for round the cans only, then sure.

But you're talking about a Sigma 38, which is a solid offshore boat, designed specifically for offshore racing. So this is simply not an issue at all. Plenty of Sigma 38s cruise. Plenty have competed fairly successfully in double handed racing.

So, no a Sigma 38 isn't too lively to singlehand. It's a very solid boat.
    Having read what the OP wants to do with it though, it wouldn't be top of my list.
    You never know, I might be right!

I have given my advice already but would comment that it is a pity that folk who know so little about the subject are so dogmatic with their information and opinions. In 12 years of ownership I can not recall problems with handling, or berthing anchoring etc. related to the boats size or displacement, the reason that we downsized was that with only two people aboard we no longer needed ten berths, and our local boat club has a yard limit at 33 ft. her more modern 33' ft.replacement had a taller mast and more sail area.
    There are more reliable places to check the displacement, air draught, sail area, stability etc .

Some facts - Sigma 38 OOD
    Datum weight - 6580 kgs, keel lead/iron compsite 2640kgs.
    Mainsail luff 14.48m. foot 5.18m. Big genny 135%, luff 13.25
    Primary winches Lewmar 52s Halyard winches Lewmar 40s

I am afraid I can no longer recall the headroom though I can not recall anyone having a problem with it.

I don't understand this "too lively" nonsense and surely the answer to berthing worries, if you have them, is understanding your boats motoring characteristics, using any wind and tide to your advantage and practice.
    Each to their own of course, but for me just because I'm cruising it doesn't mean I want to go slowly - sailing still needs to be fun, even if you're in your 70's as am although I do understand that not everybody's wives / girlfriends / significant others might agree...
    My "cruising rig" is a slightly smaller main and a high clew furling headsail and no, we don't sail "on our ear" everywhere as I'm lucky enough to have a stiff boat with a modern fin and bulb keel so double figure or close to speeds are not uncommon for us. I know when we get into the 10-12 knot zone as my partner lady starts chuckling. My rig setting chart revolves around maintaining the ability to comfortably make tea and organise lunch, whilst still cracking on.
    Go get you a Sigma 38, they are/were good enough for many sailing schools and they will look after you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    I have given my advice already but would comment that it is a pity that folk who know so little about the subject are so dogmatic with their information and opinions. In 12 years of ownership I can not recall problems with handling, or berthing anchoring etc. related to the boats size or displacement, the reason that we downsized was that with only two people aboard we no longer needed ten berths, and our local boat club has a yard limit at 33 ft. her more modern 33' ft.replacement had a taller mast and more sail area.
    There are more reliable places to check the displacement, air draught, sail area, stability etc .

Some facts - Sigma 38 OOD
    Datum weight - 6580 kgs, keel lead/iron compsite 2640kgs.
    Mainsail luff 14.48m. foot 5.18m. Big genny 135%, luff 13.25
    Primary winches Lewmar 52s Halyard winches Lewmar 40s

I am afraid I can no longer recall the headroom though I can not recall anyone having a problem with it.
    That matches my opinion of them. A solid medium weight cruiser racer.
    Reasonable ballast, not overly dependent on fat on the rail, but it always helps.
    It won't be like parking a big dinghy, you need skill and practice not manual force.
    I don't know why people are so hung up on headroom. I'm tallish, if I want to stand up straight I go on deck. The expectation of walking nonchalantly around below decks just shouldn't be there on any boat under about 60ft, there's always bulkheads and stuff to bang your head on even on quite spacious boats. The worst is a boat with mostly just enough headroom, which means some feature on the deckhead gets people every time. It's a boat, you need to be aware where you're putting your head!
    And there loads more headroom once it's heeled 15 degrees....

We had given up serious racing in 1995 unable to afford the time and hold the crew a serious campaign demanded, sold our Sigma 33 and then went to Southhampton to look for a boat to go cruising, tempted by the X334, but the Sigma 38 was better value, Northshore had their first S38, (very pricey and the only one they made )there that year but I liked the Marine Projects original better and could afford it. We kept ours for 12 years cruising either side of the North Channel, we also did evening points racing (everybody did then) often racing her with only the two of us and in summer we recruited a couple of extra crew and took her to WHYW racing whitesail and sometimes winning.
    That we kept her for 12 years indicates an easily managed and maintained boat, her current owner keeps her out on the West Coast and uses her only for cruising but has already owned her for another 12 years with three generations of his family enjoying her. It was a mistake to have sold her, I still find her attractive when she passes, but her replacement served us well too.

Quote Originally Posted by James W View Post
    I'm well aware that the Sigma is an OOD and designed to be sailed with a large crew but, is it too much to sail singlehanded?

Is it not possible to sail it more conservatively and not cranked up to the max?

Thinking of looking at one, bit wondering if I should save myself the drive?

Thanks,

James
    I have sailed one quite a few times with inexperienced crews on a 38, and a sailing school out of Kip Marina used one for teaching as well. Both were handled with short handed crew and inexperienced crews. No one sat on the rail to keep the boat under control. Handling under power was excellent, easily berthed forward or in reverse, with a reasonable kick in astern to be helpful without being overpowering. I have sailed the 29, 31, 36, 362, 38 and 41. While I liked the 41, the 38 was my favourite. I have a memory of running backstays but I cant remember if that was the 362 (retrofitted because of a pumping mast) or the 38. Running backstays can be a faff. For single handing I would tend to go for a smaller boat. I single hand my Rival 41 but to be honest when I get more worn out a smaller yacht will be called for. Regarding berthing, my Rival is a dog under power, the 38 will be a dream, and I have mastered single line mooring along side from the centre cleat. Hence, at 38' with a more manoeuvrable yacht, I would not let this be an issue.

Regarding 'conservative' sailing just don't leave and you should be fine, that's a joke by the way. Yes, they can be sailed conservatively and will still perform as demonstrated on the teaching boat that was not sailed to maximum regularly, that is my experience, the hulls have sufficient forefoot and are less impacted by wave slap than more modern hulls.

Go and see it. For the right price, in good condition, it could be a reasonable choice. However, beware, it is entering old boat age and down that road is the potential to spend a lot of cash, post purchase. Then again ........
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    Depends upon how tall you are.
    I'm 1m87

Thank you in advance

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast