Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: Is a Sigma 38 too lively to singlehand?

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    I have sailed one quite a few times with inexperienced crews on a 38, and a sailing school out of Kip Marina used one for teaching as well. Both were handled with short handed crew and inexperienced crews. No one sat on the rail to keep the boat under control. Handling under power was excellent, easily berthed forward or in reverse, with a reasonable kick in astern to be helpful without being overpowering. I have sailed the 29, 31, 36, 362, 38 and 41. While I liked the 41, the 38 was my favourite. I have a memory of running backstays but I cant remember if that was the 362 (retrofitted because of a pumping mast) or the 38. Running backstays can be a faff. For single handing I would tend to go for a smaller boat. I single hand my Rival 41 but to be honest when I get more worn out a smaller yacht will be called for. Regarding berthing, my Rival is a dog under power, the 38 will be a dream, and I have mastered single line mooring along side from the centre cleat. Hence, at 38' with a more manoeuvrable yacht, I would not let this be an issue.

Regarding 'conservative' sailing just don't leave and you should be fine, that's a joke by the way. Yes, they can be sailed conservatively and will still perform as demonstrated on the teaching boat that was not sailed to maximum regularly, that is my experience, the hulls have sufficient forefoot and are less impacted by wave slap than more modern hulls.

Go and see it. For the right price, in good condition, it could be a reasonable choice. However, beware, it is entering old boat age and down that road is the potential to spend a lot of cash, post purchase. Then again ........
    That's a lot of Sigma's. Do you have any experience with a SIGMA 35 ?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by BarryWhite View Post
    That's a lot of Sigma's. Do you have any experience with a SIGMA 35 ?

Thank you
    No but I would not know if a Sigma 35 had ever been made. I worked for a company that had a large charter fleet and over the years the listed Sigmas were represented, some managed on behalf of owners, some owned by the Company. I was just told to deliver boats or skipper or make up race crew numbers.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    No but I would not know if a Sigma 35 had ever been made. I worked for a company that had a large charter fleet and over the years the listed Sigmas were represented, some managed on behalf of owners, some owned by the Company. I was just told to deliver boats or skipper or make up race crew numbers.

Should you have any alternatives to recommend between Gbp 25 to 45k you are welcome???

(I've visited a Sunshine 36 but headroom was to low (I'm 1m87), and a Dehler 38 from 1987 which was too expensive for a 33 years old boat)

Oh yeah, my program: long weekends in the Netherlands, 5 to 8 weeks between the UK, Ireland and Scandinavia and I hope within a few years a 6 - 12 months sabbatical year ;-)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345