Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Left my nav light on again

I am going to add some small 3mm 12v leds to my switch panel. Is it as simple as connecting the led from the switch to negative. Any recommendations.

Default Re: Left my nav light on again

Quote Originally Posted by KAM View Post
    I am going to add some small 3mm 12v leds to my switch panel. Is it as simple as connecting the led from the switch to negative. Any recommendations.
    Yes, as simple as that. They can all share a common negative. Note they will be polarity sensitive.

Plenty of choices in style, for instance ; https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/displ...ed-indicators/
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

How about fitting a microswitch to the entrance hatch wash board slot such that the switch operates when the wash boards are fitted. Wire a buzzer or alarm from the nav light circuit via this switch to negative. So if you fit the washboards and the nav lights or any other service are still powered you will get a reminder. Just like your car. You could also use a amgnetic reed switch as used for burglar alarms. Onj my boat i would not notice an LED on the switch panel. ol'will

Quote Originally Posted by KAM View Post
    My only comment would be that if they are bright enough to see in daylight they will probably be too bright at night,

Does it really matter if you leave a nav light switch in the on position occasionally while you are onboard......... presumably when you leave the boat they all go off anyway when you switch the main isolator off.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    My only comment would be that if they are bright enough to see in daylight they will probably be too bright at night,

Does it really matter if you leave a nav light switch in the on position occasionally while you are onboard......... presumably when you leave the boat they all go off anyway when you switch the main isolator off.
    power drain ?

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    My only comment would be that if they are bright enough to see in daylight they will probably be too bright at night.
    Should be OK, i fit a lot of illuminated switches and they function fine. My own switches illuminate red, easy to see in daylight, and not too bright in the night, a faint red glow, which is actually useful.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    Should be OK, i fit a lot of illuminated switches and they function fine. My own switches illuminate red, easy to see in daylight, and not too bright in the night, a faint red glow, which is actually useful.
    My panel has one of the switches labelled "Panel Lights" which, when turned on, illuminates the white lettering next to each of the 24 switches. Each switch, when on, has a little red LED. The problem is, as I found a couple of nights ago, when one returns from the bar in the dark to the boat at anchor, and one has turned off the switches for the cabin lights, one is looking at a black switch panel on a dark night with no chance of seeing which is the switch that turns on the letters.

Actually it's the top switch on the right and is a different shape to the other 23 so that it can be felt in the dark .... but after a carafe or two, my memory fails a bit.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    My panel has one of the switches labelled "Panel Lights" which, when turned on, illuminates the white lettering next to each of the 24 switches. Each switch, when on, has a little red LED. The problem is, as I found a couple of nights ago, when one returns from the bar in the dark to the boat at anchor, and one has turned off the switches for the cabin lights, one is looking at a black switch panel on a dark night with no chance of seeing which is the switch that turns on the letters.

Actually it's the top switch on the right and is a different shape to the other 23 so that it can be felt in the dark .... but after a carafe or two, my memory fails a bit.

Richard
    The first two overhead lights in my saloon, one each side of the companionway, can be switched on with a keyfob remote. Very useful for those occasions you describe. Later this year i shall be fitting LED spreader lights and adding those to the remote, should light the whole boat up from at least 50 yards
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    The first two overhead lights in my saloon, one each side of the companionway, can be switched on with a keyfob remote. Very useful for those occasions you describe. Later this year i shall be fitting LED spreader lights and adding those to the remote, should light the whole boat up from at least 50 yards
    I really like this idea.

I bought these because they have the little diodes pre-wired in them. No idea what that is for but apparently quite necessary.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pre-Wired...-/291132733600
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast