Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Engine powered heater

fitted one of these in a kitchen today. It's heat comes from the central heating. They do a 12 volt version for bathrooms, so could it be put on a boat and plumbed into the engine coolant before it goes through the heat exchanger?

https://www.myson.co.uk/products/kickspace_hydronic.htm

Default Re: Engine powered heater

Haven't studied the one you linked to, but yes, you can put a heater matrix in the fresh water cooling circuit. Goes in the same place you'd connect a calorifier, works the same way as the heater in your car. Some mobos use them for screen demisting.
    Last edited by PaulRainbow; 18-09-19 at 07:56.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Yes. This is also how the fan radiators on hydronic boat/car heaters work. They're not too expensive and may be more space efficient: https://www.butlertechnik.com/instal...12014081-p1354

Be aware that diesel engines idling or running at light loads can put remarkably little waste heat into the cooling circuit.
    As a result, heater matrices on yacht engines can be disappointing.

Get one from a breakers for peanuts!
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Be aware that diesel engines idling or running at light loads can put remarkably little waste heat into the cooling circuit.
    As a result, heater matrices on yacht engines can be disappointing.
    How is it then that we get tanks full of piping hot water when we run the engine ?
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by PCUK View Post
    Get one from a breakers for peanuts!
    I tried that.
    I found a heater matrix from a Polo, which turned out to have the fins really close together, so it needed a serious fan to push the air through. On full chat, the Polo fan drew about 10A!
    Not much problem when the engine is running, but not great for an Eberbasto installation, which was clearly a desirable upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    How is it then that we get tanks full of piping hot water when we run the engine ?
    As soon as the engine works reasonably hard, the game changes. Calorifiers are quite good at storing the heat when it's available.
    My diesel car has fairly serious 12V elements heating the water going into the matrix. If I were doing this again I'd look into that, but a 'wet' eber/basto is the way to go IMHO, can be had fairly cheaply on ebay.
    When my experiment didn't work, there seemd to be a lot of diesel Lard Rover owners saying 'I could have told you that!'.

Having a deck saloon, and having been known to motor from the inside helm in cold wet conditions, I find that using waste heat from the engine is wonderful. After all, you wouldn't buy a car without a heater. I got a heater matrix out of a Transit, from a scrappies, a wee bit of ducting, and a fan to fit the ducting. Pure dead brilliant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast