Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Engine powered heater

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Having a deck saloon, and having been known to motor from the inside helm in cold wet conditions, I find that using waste heat from the engine is wonderful. After all, you wouldn't buy a car without a heater. I got a heater matrix out of a Transit, from a scrappies, a wee bit of ducting, and a fan to fit the ducting. Pure dead brilliant.
    Being from Oz yacht heating is not an issue. We were in Patagonia a couple of years ago and yachts without chimneys were like hens teeth (and a bit of a revelation - but unsurprising given the amount of snow still obvious low down - at the height of summer).

I can see how modifying a car/van (ute ) or truck system might be very advantageous - but what do you do when at anchor? which is a point, I think, being made earlier. You really don't want to be running the engine(s) simply to be and stay warm - which implies to me - you need 2 systems (which might be no bad thing).

It raises a different issue and a question I have had a the back of my mind for a long time (slight drift coming up) - we have a gas boiler for hot water so our availability of hot water is limited by the amount of water we carry (and the gas supply). We can be at anchor for a week - what do people do for hot water (or heat in the case raised) when the calorifier runs out (of hot water)?

None of this is a big issue if air and water temperatures are high, or comfortable (say as in the Med in summer), but its a different issue when temperatures are low, you sail in the UK 365 - or have those ambitions for higher latitudes (like the Scottish Islands - or even further).

Jonathan
    Last edited by Neeves; 18-09-19 at 23:25.

Using waste heat from the engine, obviously only works when the engine is on. That is why engine derived heating makes sense in a boat with a deck saloon or a wheelhouse, and why it wouldn't be any good in a boat which is always handled from outside.
    When we're at anchor in cold conditions, we use ducted warm air from an Eberspacher. (Other models are available).
    We had a multi fuel fire on our previous boat, and burned mainly wood from the shore. We carried a chainsaw and had great fun sourcing, sawing, and splitting logs in peculiar places. This was with a big old converted fishing boat, and I wouldn't recommend burning wood in an average sized yacht.

For hot water, once all the hot water from the calorifier has gone, we simply use a kettle on the gas stove.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    Being from Oz yacht heating is not an issue.

<snip>

what do people do for hot water (or heat in the case raised) when the calorifier runs out (of hot water)?

None of this is a big issue if air and water temperatures are high, or comfortable (say as in the Med in summer), but its a different issue when temperatures are low, you sail in the UK 365 - or have those ambitions for higher latitudes (like the Scottish Islands - or even further).

Jonathan
    I mostly use cold water. It isn't that cold in the Summer months and even in the Winter you get used to it. Cold water is fine for washing and doing the dishes. If i want hot water for any reason i just boil a kettle.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Unfortunately teenage granddaughters believe that hot showers, even if they ARE Navy showers, are a birthright (along with mobile phone access), to be denied only if you do not desire them to sail with you ever again. After a long, damp sail I do confess that I see their point.

Jonathan

Apologies Lincoln - I stand accused of serious thread drift - hopefully it can return to your post,

J
    Last edited by Neeves; 19-09-19 at 10:26. Reason: apology for thread drift

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12