Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Emsworth - anyone with local knowledge please

If anyone knows Emsworth well please could you hazard a guess the earliest this Saturday evening it will be possible to get a tender off the mud at the end of the Fisherman's Quay? Low tide is at 9.48 PM - but it is a highish low tide.

Thank you.

Havent been up there for a few years, but I assume the visitors pontoon is still in place a little further down the channel?

Default Re: Emsworth - anyone with local knowledge please

In my opinion as a local who occasionally uses this approach to Emsworth, The worst case is at low tide and if you are happy to get out of the tender and walk towing it up the stream bed for the last 100 or so meters then I estimate that you can get to the pontoon, the one that comes off the tide pond seawall at low tide. You will however get muddy, but not so bad you cant move as the bed of the stream is largely gravel, it is getting the last 10 yards where the mud issues really is, either on to the pontoon or the fishermans warf which is the gravel bank running out along side the stream / moorings on its west side. a good friend did it a couple of weeks ago on a similar tide. Take a bucket with you to wash any mud off. The satellite images are quite useful if you google it, showing the bank and the stream on google at the moment.
    Last edited by seumask; 18-09-19 at 08:19.

You are right is does look like there won't be mud 9.48 PM so I don't know what you can do, the visitors pontoon hasn't moved.

I'm not quite clear where you mean by "Fisherman's quay". However I can back up Seumask description of the gravel bed that you can drag a dinghy along...either all the way to the hard or simply to the pontoon coming off the tidal pond wall, I have done it many times. It is squidgy gravel not firm and I have lost a croc there and there is a lot of mud I would not want to get stuck in close by.
    If you are trying to avoid getting muddy you might be lucky as it is close to neaps, but equally that means if it is too shallow it is likely to stay that way a lot longer. So ideally an hour before low water or an hour and a half after low water.
    BTW the isolated all tide pontoon off Fowley island is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by seumask View Post
    In my opinion as a local who occasionally uses this approach to Emsworth, The worst case is at low tide and if you are happy to get out of the tender and walk towing it up the stream bed for the last 100 or so meters then I estimate that you can get to the pontoon, the one that comes off the tide pond seawall at low tide. You will however get muddy, but not so bad you cant move as the bed of the stream is largely gravel, it is getting the last 10 yards where the mud issues really is, either on to the pontoon or the fishermans warf which is the gravel bank running out along side the stream / moorings on its west side. a good friend did it a couple of weeks ago on a similar tide. Take a bucket with you to wash any mud off. The satellite images are quite useful if you google it, showing the bank and the stream on google at the moment.
    Years ago when working at the now defunct Emsworth Sailing School we used to be able to access the school moorings (beside the main channel, just east of the fishermans walk) by walking from the slipway near the ESC race hut along the main channel.

The bottom of the channel was fairly gravelly and clean. The only time there was no access was at low tide springs when we used to have to walk the boats and anchor them besides Fishermans Pole.

Upstream of the slipway was probably the same but the bottom of the channel will probably be cleanest towards the river rather than the quay. Still, a bit of Emsworth mud never hurt anyone and is often the start of a great tale...

Quote Originally Posted by seumask View Post
    , it is getting the last 10 yards where the mud issues really is, either on to the pontoon or the fishermans warf which is the gravel bank running out along side the stream / moorings on its west side. a good friend did it a couple of weeks ago on a similar tide. ...... The satellite images are quite useful if you google it, showing the bank and the stream on google at the moment.
    If I was unfamiliar with the channel I would be quite wary doing it in the dark. The gravel bank you can see on google earth is significantly higher than the channel to the pontoon so no need to walk along it, you are better off using the tender. (If trying to launch from the gravelbank track/fishermans wharf you would need a lot more water not to get very muddy.)

If you are walking up the bed of the channel to the pontoon it is worth noting the patch of mud immediately lying 2 or 3 metres paralell with the East face of the pontoon. Google earth shows you need to bear just a little more west (right next to the first moored boat south of the pontoon) and then resume north the last few metres.

Maybe I have the wrong name - I am referring to the pontoon just off Emsworth Town. The aim is to go into Emsworth Saturday evening for dinner, and probably leave the boat on the public pontoon further down which doesnt dry - I draw just under 2 metres. We would go up in the tender and was obvioulsy hoping to neither get muddy or get out and walk! Hence the question as to people's best guess as to when the tender will be afloat again after low tide. Alternatively we might just squeeze ourselves into Emsworth marina which would avoid all these problems but although we have done it before we only just fit and wouldnt be able to leave until Sunday evening.

Whatever the name then yes we are talking about the same pontoon. Being on the safe side my guess is something like 11.30pm (call it closing time) but possibly midnight (high pressure is predicted). The water does hang about but is often not quite deep enough hence talking about walking the last bit, but that shouldn't be necessary. The reason I am not more confident is we used to keep our dinghy on the hard at Emsworth and my notes are based on getting all the way there. If you are relaxed about the time I'd go for it, use oars not outboard the last bit. The deepwater pontoon is a lovely spot, I'd do that anyday over the marina.

Right, ok. I didn't reply earlier as I didn't know where you meant by "Fisherman's Quay".

Assuming the landing stage sticking out from the wall of the Mill Pond is what the Conservancy mean by "Emsworth Jetty" (they're not very clear either), it's apparently usable for a boat with 1m draught 3.5 hours either side of high water on neaps.

Using the Northney tides, which seem nearest of those available, next neaps has 2.4m rise of tide 3.5 hours after HW. Being conservative by imagining the Conservancy allowed nothing under the keel of their 1m boat, that means it dries 1.4m at that jetty.

Scrolling the tides back to this Saturday, after the inconveniently-timed low water, we see 1.4m (so the mud just covered) at 23:15. You'll obviously need a little more than this for the dinghy to float; it's not rising especially fast at about 0.1m per fifteen minutes so I would plan to get off at midnight, hope to manage it earlier, and not be totally amazed if it came a little later due to Conservancy optimism re silting, weather conditions, and the difference between Northney and Emsworth.

So the theory lines up pretty well with Dave's empirical approach above

Pete

If in the mud, keep an eye out for my left shoe, lost it during a L/W dinghy exploit when I moved off the 'stream bed'...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast