Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Emsworth - anyone with local knowledge please

Thank you so much one and all. I feared it would be that late - I know it is only an hour, but an hour earlier would have been perfect. I sometimes after dinner an hour at the end in a pub is not quite so attractive waiting for the water to come in!

I cant think of any alternatives? I dont mind walking - it is the issue of getting back on the tender somewhere it will be afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by ip485 View Post
    I cant think of any alternatives?
    Looking at Google satellite view - which is at lowish tide but presumably not the lowest - that jetty looks to be the place where land touches deepest water. So no, nowhere better; that's presumably why the jetty exists where it does.

Fisherman's Walk stretches out towards deeper water (again, presumably why it exists) but I imagine that's not somewhere you want to be in the middle of the night after a pleasant dinner.

Pete

Yes, me to the Google satellite seems to show reasonably low tide and still afloat. Obviously it drys even further, in fact I know it does because I have seen it. I will look again at Fisherman's walk - dont mind being there after dark and a good dinner but I wonder if it offers a bet opportunity to get the tender away.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Right, ok. I didn't reply earlier as I didn't know where you meant by "Fisherman's Quay".

Assuming the landing stage sticking out from the wall of the Mill Pond is what the Conservancy mean by "Emsworth Jetty" (they're not very clear either), it's apparently usable for a boat with 1m draught 3.5 hours either side of high water on neaps.

Using the Northney tides, which seem nearest of those available, next neaps has 2.4m rise of tide 3.5 hours after HW. Being conservative by imagining the Conservancy allowed nothing under the keel of their 1m boat, that means it dries 1.4m at that jetty.

Scrolling the tides back to this Saturday, after the inconveniently-timed low water, we see 1.4m (so the mud just covered) at 23:15. You'll obviously need a little more than this for the dinghy to float; it's not rising especially fast at about 0.1m per fifteen minutes so I would plan to get off at midnight, hope to manage it earlier, and not be totally amazed if it came a little later due to Conservancy optimism re silting, weather conditions, and the difference between Northney and Emsworth.

So the theory lines up pretty well with Dave's empirical approach above

Pete
    From a kayaking trip up that way a year or so back I recall that the "Emsworth Jetty" reaches out as far as the "gravelly" bit of the channel. So you can walk up the the jetty and climb out without getting your feet too muddy. (Which is what I did.)

Not sure if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ip485 View Post
    Yes, me to the Google satellite seems to show reasonably low tide and still afloat. Obviously it drys even further, in fact I know it does because I have seen it. I will look again at Fisherman's walk - dont mind being there after dark and a good dinner but I wonder if it offers a bet opportunity to get the tender away.
    I really don't think Fisherman's walk helps, at the end of it you are going to have a really muddy scramble to the tender. There is no access point to the water better than the Emsworth pontoon. Sorry to be a damp squib. But if you fancy following the shingle along the sea bed towing a solid tender (maybe with a lighter adult in the tender, grounding a bit)) and wearing shorts and knee high wellies I reckon you will have no problems at 11pm. Emsworth curry houses are my favourite, but as you walk away from the centre of the bright lights along the sea wall into the mist, it can feel kinda lonely.

Otherwise Itchenor as a destination will deliver much longer time on the water during the day and access to the pub at night. And dry feet. I haven't done it yet though, and have a sense you are much more likely to have to pay and share a bouy. Emsworth you might not get charged at all at this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by FairweatherDave View Post
    I really don't think Fisherman's walk helps, at the end of it you are going to have a really muddy scramble to the tender. There is no access point to the water better than the Emsworth pontoon.
    +1

From my above mentioned kayak trip, that was what I found. I was there at lowish tide and just hopped out at the "Emsworth Jetty". It was daylight and it was very obvious that carrying on further into Emsworth (where I'd launched) would have been harder and muddier. Ditto Fisherman's walk, which was so unpromising I didn't even notice it.

Thanks one and all.

I think it will either be into the marina or some welly boots and pull the tender down the river so to speak until finding deep water. Not sure as to the final decision yet. We have been into Emsworth marina before and acrtually found it very good. Unfortuantely we are a little large for the marina but they looked after us well last time. On this occasions the issue is potentially that of course we will not be able to get over the sill until late Sunday.

36 on the Quay is the venue which I can recommend from past experience.

Good stuff. If you opt for the pontoon do feedback how you got on.

Quote Originally Posted by FairweatherDave View Post
    Otherwise Itchenor as a destination will deliver much longer time on the water during the day and access to the pub at night. And dry feet. I haven't done it yet though, and have a sense you are much more likely to have to pay and share a bouy. Emsworth you might not get charged at all at this time of year.
    I believe Itchenor is the base for the Conservancy boats; certainly you're not going to sneak under their radar there. I doubt that's a particular concern for the OP anyway. Depending on arrival time you might or might not get a buoy to yourself; if they're all taken I tend to go on up to the visitors' pontoon rather than raft on the moorings (though I have done that a handful of times too).

Not a vast choice of eateries which seems to be the purpose of the trip, though. Is there anywhere other than the Ship? Not to imply that there's anything wrong with the Ship, of course, I've had some pleasant enough meals there.

Pete

Moor in Northney and it's a fairly cheap taxi to Emsworth?
    Never knowingly undersailed...
    http://hurley20sparrow.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast