Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Fabio Buzzi 1943 - 2019

It's sad and all, but how did he manage to crash into a breakwater? Seems a bit reckless?

Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    Although it is sad that these people have died - am I alone in thinking that this was an utterly pointless endeavour and a total waste of life? Just what was the objective of this ridiculous stunt in the first place? I don’t wish to denigrate FB and his achievements in a bygone age, but surely the world has moved on from noisy, polluting, wildlife damaging internal combustion powered boat record attempts?

Apart from the loss of human life, I just wonder about the impact on marine life of a boat travelling at that speed with large fast rotating and unshielded props, the underwater noise and pollution, and above surface noise and pollution - to achieve absolutely zilch...
    I think you are alone.

Quote Originally Posted by julians View Post
    It's sad and all, but how did he manage to crash into a breakwater? Seems a bit reckless?
    There will be an inquest so in due course your question will be answered.

Just as a parallel in terms of organisation.....

Been doing a few ď Alpine rallyís ď in the Alps .Time trials .
    Multiple timed stages . One 300 km other 200 km in total L .+ overall time for the day .
    The organisers do a (1) morning breakfast briefing and usually with theses kind of distances thereís a course amendment to do in the route book , despite best planning , road works , fallen tree etc .

(2) All the stages are proof driven by volunteers in the organisation many weeks beforehand.

How ever given the gravity ( no pun intended) of coming off the road 1000 ,s of feet up they (3) send a car 10;mins ahead of the first competitor to in effect do as best as possible a proof test of the route before the 50 odd competitors released in timed intervals arrive .

So thereís (3 ) things to think about re preventing crashing out .

1-Briefing
    3-Proof test the route
    3- Pace car / boat ahead for each stage / leg - not necessarily obviously the same guy .

I wonít speculate what went wrong here .

Tragic loss .

Although it is sad that these people have died - am I alone in thinking that this was an utterly pointless endeavour and a total waste of life? Just what was the objective of this ridiculous stunt in the first place? I donít wish to denigrate FB and his achievements in a bygone age, but surely the world has moved on from noisy, polluting, wildlife damaging internal combustion powered boat record attempts?

Apart from the loss of human life, I just wonder about the impact on marine life of a boat travelling at that speed with large fast rotating and unshielded props, the underwater noise and pollution, and above surface noise and pollution - to achieve absolutely zilch...
    Considering this is the motorboat section and people are trying to pay their respects to a great leader in his field I would say you are alone and your thoughts best kept to yourself at this time.

Don't feed the trolls, folks: I know it's a mobo forum, but we're still in the cyberspace anyway. We have to take the good with the bad of it.

This is truly beyond sad, also because the tragedy seems likely to have been due (even if obviously there will be proper investigations) just to a moment of fatigue-driven distraction, in the awareness of having achieved yet another outstanding result.
    In fact, for those gentlemen, normally that situation would have been as risky as it is for us to go out with our sedate boats in glorious sunshine and flat waters.

Anyway, the boating world has definitely lost one of its founding fathers.
    Last year, after watching this one minute video, I remember to have thought that FB was a true highlander of this industry.
    But unfortunately, immortal he wasn't.
    RIP FB with your crew, you will surely be in good company up there, together with Riva, Baglietto, Benetti, Amati, Spertini, and many others!

Quote Originally Posted by PowerYachtBlog View Post
    The British pilot is John Ryan.
    Just for the records, contrarily to the first news, the other two crew members who lost their lives were Luca Nicolini (Italian) and Erik Hoorn (Dutch).
    Mario Invernizzi (also Italian) is instead the only survivor, who as I was told is seriously injuried but conscious and not in danger of life.
    Apparently, he was thrown out of the cockpit upon impact.

stingo is offline Account Closed (By user's request)

Although it is sad that these people have died - am I alone in thinking that this was an utterly pointless endeavour and a total waste of life? Just what was the objective of this ridiculous stunt in the first place? I don’t wish to denigrate FB and his achievements in a bygone age, but surely the world has moved on from noisy, polluting, wildlife damaging internal combustion powered boat record attempts?

Well said.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Richard.C View Post
    Considering this is the motorboat section and people are trying to pay their respects to a great leader in his field I would say you are alone and your thoughts best kept to yourself at this time.
    Well said . Let’s keep this thread to paying respects to all those that lost their lives and their families

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Just for the records, contrarily to the first news, the other two crew members who lost their lives were Luca Nicolini (Italian) and Erik Hoorn (Dutch).
    Mario Invernizzi (also Italian) is instead the only survivor, who as I was told is seriously injuried but conscious and not in danger of life.
    Apparently, he was thrown out of the cockpit upon impact.
    Correct. Apparently the two british pilots who had to be onboard, one of which was John Ryan could not make it in-time. So Buzzi find a replacement. I will update the post.

Although it is sad that these people have died - am I alone in thinking that this was an utterly pointless endeavour and a total waste of life? Just what was the objective of this ridiculous stunt in the first place? I donít wish to denigrate FB and his achievements in a bygone age, but surely the world has moved on from noisy, polluting, wildlife damaging internal combustion powered boat record attempts?

Ok so i'll bite

Heres my thoughts... Without pioneers such as these pushing the envelope of that is technically achievable, the human race would probably stagnate, if not regress.

I'll assume you're a sailing man/woman/person, so what's the point in the America cup, or a sailing solo world record attempt etc?

Plus they probably died doing something that they love, I could think of worse ways to go.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast