Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Fabio Buzzi 1943 - 2019

How on earth did this thread, which is about the sad demise of one of the most respected power boat designers and racers in the world, deteriorate to this level? Shame on you guys. Anyway just by way of a poignant coincidence, a fellow forumite and I were enjoying lunch next to Lake Como along with some motorbiking mates just a few days ago and we spotted a Buzzi hulled Guardia Finanza patrol boat on the quay outside the restaurant. Note the STAB tubes on the hull similar to the new Sunseeker Hawk 38 and of course Buzzi's design studio is near Lake Como

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    How on earth did this thread, which is about the sad demise of one of the most respected power boat designers and racers in the world, deteriorate to this level?
    Absolutely - not to mention a true gentleman.

As a small aside, glad to see that you enjoyed some fine weather, M.
    It's a real pity that we couldn't catch up - that spot where you had lunch is less than 10 mins N of my holiday home in Menaggio.
    Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    As a small aside, glad to see that you enjoyed some fine weather, M.
    It's a real pity that we couldn't catch up - that spot where you had lunch is less than 10 mins N of my holiday home in Menaggio.
    Enjoy the rest of your trip.
    The weather was excellent and we had a great trip but unfortunately we finished yesterday already with my friends returning to UK and me to SoF

Quote Originally Posted by Ian h View Post
    Moderators please delete this post by Ric as it is in no way appropriate bearing in mind 3 people have lost their lives
    Iíd agree take down this post .
    What a very sad loss for the world of fast motor boats and a true gent Iím sure.
    Yes Ric you are alone , we all do dangerous things in life to achieve whatís in our hearts and what makes us feel alive .
    Whatís the point in living if you canít feel alive , thatís exactly how FB and his team lived there lives , absolutely brilliant achievements.

what Was the offensive word?

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    I’d agree take down this post .
    What a very sad loss for the world of fast motor boats and a true gent I’m sure.
    Yes Ric you are alone , we all do dangerous things in life to achieve what’s in our hearts and what makes us feel alive .
    What’s the point in living if you can’t feel alive , that’s exactly how FB and his team lived there lives , absolutely brilliant achievements.
    The whole thread should go, I’ve never seen so many moderator deleted posts in one thread. And this after the death of 3 people!

It was meant to be a tribute to a famous boater, sadly it’s descended into a tragic farce. Ric has the right to say what he did, but on reflection I hope that he might see that it would have been better starting another thread with his observations.

stingo is offline Account Closed (By user's request)

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    The whole thread should go, I’ve never seen so many moderator deleted posts in one thread. And this after the death of 3 people!

It was meant to be a tribute to a famous boater, sadly it’s descended into a tragic farce. Ric has the right to say what he did, but on reflection I hope that he might see that it would have been better starting another thread with his observations.
    Well said LJS

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post

I see it a bit differently, LJS.
    As I said in post #25, this is the internet, and what happened is consistent with the nature of the beast, so to speak.
    If we would have commented the departure of Mother Teresa of Calcutta, there would still have been some haters ready to highlight that she also made some mistakes, in her life...!
    Otoh, if we use a bit of helicopter view, I think it's difficult to think of another thread with such an overwhelming majority of the contributors agreeing on the main topic - i.e., that FB and his achievements were already legendary even before his tragic departure.

And you are right when you say that Ric had the right to express his view. I even don't mind his choice to do so within this thread.
    I believe it's just his wording that was inappropriate, and instigated some reactions - like when he asked "what was the objective of this ridiculous stunt in the first place?".
    Now, it's obvious that such question comes across as provocative/offensive, but it might well be a genuine question from someone who simply doesn't have a clue.
    I even thought for a moment to try to post a proper answer, but I honestly couldn't think where to start, because the list of the objectives that FB aimed at in his life (and more often than not achieved!) is endless.
    And ironically, many of them were oriented to improve safety in boating.
    In fact, I'm pretty sure that if he would have survived this accident, he would be already working on some ways to prevent it from happening again in the future, either with his boats or any others.

Bottom line, while I obviously agree that it's appropriate to delete silly and offensive posts (as it is in any other thread), I really hope that the whole thread will never be pulled.
    In fact, I do believe that most of what has been said here was not only sincerely felt, but also, quite simply, true.
    And as such, it's a small tribute well worth a place in this forum - much more than most other threads, anyway.
    Last edited by MapisM; 19-09-19 at 22:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelighter View Post
    what Was the offensive word?
    As soon as I saw your rhyming slang reply WL I knew the mods would take it down.
    I honestly cannot understand what ever possessed you to post such a stupid comment.
    I’ve never been a fan of you , reading a post like that tells me exactly why .
    You need to grow up fast.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    I see it a bit differently, LJS.
    Me too. This thread is a tribute to a powerboat legend and should remain on the forum because of that. Maybe it should also serve as a reminder to all of us to behave ourselves as well

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast