Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Default Re: Get your position right...

The main problem with w3w is that you need a machine to encode and decode it.

It's also subject to the vagaries of spelling, so a language with tighter spelling rules like Spanish might work better than English.

I have heard several maydays and panpans relayed by coastguard however hearing a grid ref gave me no immediate clue where they were except Northern hemisphere. If I had hear "Of Rame Head" etc I could easily call up coastguard if they were in my area to get lat and long while having pen in my hand. (Old boat had chart plotter by tiller and radio in cabin which was a fairly common arrangement)

Lat long if given wrongly verbally by victim could be useless. Off Rame Head as additional info gives error correction.
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by JBJag27 View Post
    The main problem with w3w is that you need a machine to encode and decode it.

It's also subject to the vagaries of spelling, so a language with tighter spelling rules like Spanish might work better than English.
    I've just found a severe limitation of W3W - it seems to be impossible to go south of about 80S, and I presume the same North!

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    I have heard several maydays and panpans relayed by coastguard however hearing a grid ref gave me no immediate clue where they were except Northern hemisphere. If I had hear "Of Rame Head" etc I could easily call up coastguard if they were in my area to get lat and long while having pen in my hand. (Old boat had chart plotter by tiller and radio in cabin which was a fairly common arrangement)

Lat long if given wrongly verbally by victim could be useless. Off Rame Head as additional info gives error correction.
    Where is Rame Head can you give a latitude and longtitude so.people know what you are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Where is Rame Head can you give a latitude and longtitude so.people know what you are talking about?
    Don't know where it is now but for many years it was moored in Portsmouth Harbour.

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galle...e-head/cat/511
    ۞

So, to sum up, W3W has plenty of uses, but they probably don't include maydays or arctic exploration and, for your mayday, "My position is 50 deg, 26.4 N, 1 deg 17.8 W, 8 miles S of St Catharine's Head" would be ideal. Hoping of course, that while you're sorting that out in an unfamiliar area, it doesn't become "My position is 50 deg, 20..glub glub glub...
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    I've just found a severe limitation of W3W - it seems to be impossible to go south of about 80S, and I presume the same North!
    I think I could cope with that.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Rame head is only noted as for instance as instantly recognisable by any Plymouth sailor and last I heard it was just past Penlee Point. One would rarely give position related to a ship of that name in harbour. I should have said Bloggs Harbour or Numpties Ledge so some folks did not strain at the gnat and swallow the camel.

I must stress that best practice would be to give lat and long plus local detail. Perhaps I am professionally used to greater rigour in safety protocol.
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    Rame head is only noted as for instance as instantly recognisable by any Plymouth sailor and last I heard it was just past Penlee Point. One would rarely give position related to a ship of that name in harbour.
    Only pulling your leg. But the ship of the same name lived on moorings for so long that it was shown on Admiralty charts.
    The Rame Head is gone now but HMS Bristol still appears on the chart so could serve as a landmark.
    ۞

Quote Originally Posted by JBJag27 View Post
    I think I could cope with that.
    Actually, I think the limitation is a symptom of a worse issue - it depends on a poor choice of map projection that doesn't allow representations of the polar regions, and the nominally 3x3 cells become infinitely large in the N-S direction and infinitely small in the E-W direction. So they can't cover the polar regions, which means it isn't a universal system. Note my username!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast