Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Get your position right...

Quote Originally Posted by Balbas View Post
    A tiller pilot wouldn't be much use - I have a wheel!

Honestly, this is my first 'big' (ie not a dinghy) boat and I don't know how long I'll be keeping her. I could easily chuck £20k at her for things like updated electrics, wheel pilot/sea feather, new sails, new rigging, solar, hot water, new engine etc etc etc. I have to draw a line somewhere and that line is before self steering. But anyway, we digress. DSC would solve the problem highlighted in the OP very neatly.
    Absolutely fair enough, I was just thinking about your situation with a family and not being able to leave the helm very easily.
    This thread is a brilliant advert for DSC (and I checked the RNLI link, it was a mayday not a pan pan)

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    The CG insist on lat and long positions. There are at least two reasons for this.
    1. Simple lack of local knowledge.
    2. Possible confusion due to multiple places having the same name.
    Which makes sense, but any transmissions intended for other vessels (whether that's the original distress call, or the Coastguard putting out a subsequent request for nearby vessels to assist) really needs to include a position description as well. With that we can instantly establish whether there's any chance of us being able to help, or if it's fifty miles away. As John says, someone sitting in the cockpit of a typical yacht is neither going to remember the numbers nor have the means at hand to write them down.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    I am always surprised at the readiness of people calling for assistance to rely on lat and long alone. If I am at the helm, or even at the plotter, I have little chance of remembering the numbers accurately, and even if I write them down, it takes a while to find the position on the chart or plotter. A simple 'three miles southwest of Beachy Head' or similar would cause me to prick up my ears if I knew that it was nearby.
    I agree that to transmit Position followed by Range and Bearing ticks all the boxes but I can't see your problem with getting the Position. Don't all plotters have a Nav page which gives Lat and Long in big bold numbers?
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

RNLI -The mayday call was very weak and as the location of the vessel was unclear
    Don't the CG use VHF RDF triangulation to fix position anymore?
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

I have been in the position of asking for CG assistance in very squally (20-30kt) conditions and and having to give them updated positions. Despite having a mike and plotter at the helm, the wind was bad enough to affect the command mike, so I had to go below to the chart table radio and plotter be audible, leaving a rather inexperienced crew to handle the boat.
    No big problem, but it would have been more difficult if single handed.
    Is "What 3 Words" the way of the future? I'm surprised that there seems to have been little discussion of this innovative system on these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by biscuit View Post
    I have been in the position of asking for CG assistance in very squally (20-30kt) conditions and and having to give them updated positions. Despite having a mike and plotter at the helm, the wind was bad enough to affect the command mike, so I had to go below to the chart table radio and plotter be audible, leaving a rather inexperienced crew to handle the boat.
    No big problem, but it would have been more difficult if single handed.
    Is "What 3 Words" the way of the future? I'm surprised that there seems to have been little discussion of this innovative system on these forums.
    On a recent GPS-enabled DSC (handheld or not) radio you press the red button, comment that the CG put some milk in the tea they're bringing and the cavalry comes in <1hour.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    I agree that to transmit Position followed by Range and Bearing ticks all the boxes but I can't see your problem with getting the Position. Don't all plotters have a Nav page which gives Lat and Long in big bold numbers?
    I have the e7, which is actually a little harder in this context than my old B&W RL70. On the old set, if you moved the cursor around the chart its lat & long were displayed on a line at the top of the screen. With the e7 this doesn't happen and all you can do is click on the cursor, read off the position, re-position the cursor, read off the new position and so on. In either case, the problem of remembering all the numbers being read out remains, and is a skill that I have never mastered.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Usually at a lifeboat station, somewhere in Southern England.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Don't the CG use VHF RDF triangulation to fix position anymore?
    Sadly not. All the DF equipment was removed a few years ago. Even though it was working fine, the MCA didn't want to have to pay to have it repaired if it went wrong.
    At least, that was the situation at Thames CG (RIP). Other CG stations may have been different.
    I'm not a spokesman for the RNLI. I just happen to drive one of their lifeboats.

Surely just what DSC was to sort out, info to coast guard and also to nearby shipping

Quote Originally Posted by Daverw View Post
    Surely just what DSC was to sort out, info to coast guard and also to nearby shipping
    Except when fog causes the gps in the radio to lose its position.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast