Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Get your position right...

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    I agree that to transmit Position followed by Range and Bearing ticks all the boxes but I can't see your problem with getting the Position. Don't all plotters have a Nav page which gives Lat and Long in big bold numbers?
    Heís talking about receiving someone elseís position, not transmitting his own.

Pete

Not sure why fog would stop GPS, I’ve never had this either on the boat or on land with phone or portable GPS. Especially on newer units.

Quote Originally Posted by biscuit View Post
    I have been in the position of asking for CG assistance in very squally (20-30kt) conditions and and having to give them updated positions. Despite having a mike and plotter at the helm, the wind was bad enough to affect the command mike, so I had to go below to the chart table radio and plotter be audible, leaving a rather inexperienced crew to handle the boat.
    No big problem, but it would have been more difficult if single handed.
    Is "What 3 Words" the way of the future? I'm surprised that there seems to have been little discussion of this innovative system on these forums.
    I suspect that W3W is going to become a real asset as it is simple to use but some will find it too simple
    It is being used by emergency services more and more I understand but I donít think there are any likelihood of charts being available

Quote Originally Posted by Balbas View Post
    I sail with family. In honking weather the wife is much more likely to be looking after the (young) kids than steering. And anyway, I know for a fact that she'd would only agree to be on the helm in bad weather in the direst of dire emergencies (say I was dead or completely incapacitated). And I don't have any form of self steering. So unless I was able to heave to there's no way I could get to the chart table.

In good weather its perfectly fine. The boat is balanced enough for me to leave it to sail itself for a few minutes and keep an hourly position fix marked on the chart, fill in the log etc. In really bad weather that's not gonna happen, so if it comes to it I'll be reading lat & long off my phone or using distance and bearing.

I suppose I really ought to buy a DSC radio...
    I'd suggest a better investment would be an auto-pilot of whatever kind suits your vessel best. how anyone can sail (what amounts to) singlehanded without one, defeats me. Tied to the helm, unable to attend to anything else on the boat without heaving it to, too risky for me! A DSC radio is nice to have, but not actually essential. An autohelm, in the circumstances you describe, IS essential.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    He’s talking about receiving someone else’s position, not transmitting his own.

Pete
    Not how I read it, and the reply in #17 confirmed it.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Not how I read it, and the reply in #17 confirmed it.
    If he's transmitting his position, where does remembering numbers come in? Why not just read them off the screen - are the plotter and VHF at opposite ends of the boat? And having written down his lat and long, why's he trying to find the corresponding position on the chart in order to transmit... the lat and long he already has? No - he heard the lat and long of a distressed boat read out, once, on the radio, and now he's scrambling to figure out where those half-remembered numbers point to in real-world terms. I regularly have the exact same problem.

Post #17 doesn't confirm that he's trying to find his own lat and long, it's a description of how it's difficult to turn a lat and long into a position on (one model of) plotter. He has to keep clicking on spots to see if the lat and long it presents for that location is the one he copied for the distressed boat. None of that makes any sense if it was his own position he wanted. Even if his plotter didn't have a direct read-out, he'd at least only have to click the cursor once, on his own little boat symbol, not keep hunting and pecking around the ocean until he finds where the one in trouble is.

Pete

Last year I responded to a call from the coastguard for "Any vessel able to offer assistance". (Lat/long numbers put it somewhere near me by mental arithmetic.) I asked the coastguard for a bearing and distance from St Catherine's Point to the casualty for ease of plotting but they couldn't give it to me. So I had to write down the position then plot it on the paper chart. Maybe I need more practice with the plotter.

I think personally that being able to plot a lat long gps fix quickly on a chart is a skill every navigator should have. After all its easy and doesnt take much practice.....

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    I suspect that W3W is going to become a real asset as it is simple to use but some will find it too simple
    It is being used by emergency services more and more I understand but I don’t think there are any likelihood of charts being available
    And I think that would be connected with the fact that adjacent "positions" have no relation to each other, so it is impossible to see if one position is near another or far away, unlike lat/long or OSGB.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    The CG insist on lat and long positions. There are at least two reasons for this.
    1. Simple lack of local knowledge.
    2. Possible confusion due to multiple places having the same name.
    You forgot to add
    3) Tick sheet does not have any squares for "range & bearings"
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast