Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: AGM vs deep cycle

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Either type would do the job for you. But I reckon that adding an extra one or two batteries to your bank is one of the best investments you can make.
    Yes but, adding extra batteries without the ability to charge them fully, will shorten battery life so, it's important to weigh up charging regime as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    Yes but, adding extra batteries without the ability to charge them fully, will shorten battery life so, it's important to weigh up charging regime as well.
    +1

Lots of solar is a game changer with a decent size of battery bank. You can get 90%-95% SOC every morning and back to 100% the same day. The small drop in SOC means you aren't cycling much and even cheap batteries will last quite a while.

One big problem with lead/acid batteries is the rapid drop in charging efficiency as they get to the upper SOC range. The bigger your bank the higher the SOC each morning and the less efficient the charging. Getting a sweet spot is the trick. A huge bank is expensive and a waste if never actually used.

I seem to manage with 450AH and 355W panels (+plus an extra roving flexible for late in season). Batteries tend to be in 88%-94% each morning, depending on usage in previous night (fridge loading, TV etc.).

From experience if you want something that will really last (probably well over ten years) and stand up to some accidental abuse then opt for Lifeline. They may be more but they really are the gold standard of the AGM world.

Thanks everyone. Can't really justify the cost of Trojans (nor do I have the space in the battery compartment) so decided to go for the low tech (and cheap) advice from Paul Rainbow. Also take PVB's point about extra battery capacity. Maybe I'll have to take a look at expanding the battery compartment.
    Remote boat monitoring/control For peace of mind
    http://www.skippersmate.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pessimist View Post
    Thanks everyone. Can't really justify the cost of Trojans (nor do I have the space in the battery compartment) so decided to go for the low tech (and cheap) advice from Paul Rainbow. Also take PVB's point about extra battery capacity. Maybe I'll have to take a look at expanding the battery compartment.
    Posts #11 and #12 also raise good points. If you fit fit enough solar to last a day or two of poor weather, that makes a big difference. On sunny days your batteries should get to 100% and the panels will keep up with your loads.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Quick update. When paying by PayPal the £15 delivery charge is not made obvious until payment confirmation has been made. Battery Megastore then emailed me this morning to announce that the batteries were not in stock.
    Battery Megastore are off my Christmas Card list.
    Remote boat monitoring/control For peace of mind
    http://www.skippersmate.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ip485 View Post
    From experience if you want something that will really last (probably well over ten years) and stand up to some accidental abuse then opt for Lifeline. They may be more but they really are the gold standard of the AGM world.
    I've just changed my 5 Lifeline AGMs for 5 Exide AGMs. As the combined cost of the Lifelines would have been around £3000, compared to the Exides at around half that, it seemed a no brainer really.

Richard

Battery Megastore then emailed me this morning to announce that the batteries were not in stock.
    Get a refund and try Tayna, I've always had excellent service from them.

Quick update. When paying by PayPal the £15 delivery charge is not made obvious until payment confirmation has been made. Battery Megastore then emailed me this morning to announce that the batteries were not in stock.
    Tayna!

https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/

That's disappointing, i've always had very good service from them. I looked at the Paypal payment and you're right, no mention of the delivery charge, even up to the point when you hit the "Pay" button, that's not good, i'd complain to them and Paypal. As for being out of stock, looks like there was an error in their stock control system, they are now showing as "Out of stock".
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast