Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Combined Shore Power/ Battery Charger Unit

Around 20 years ago we fitted a Tecsup unit which has worked well. The battery charger bit seems to have failed and browsing the internet, I don't seem to be able to find a replacement unit.
    Do I keep the unit and use it for distributing the mains supply to the various 3 pin plugs we have and fit a separate battery charger - or is there an alternative?
    thanks
    Claymore

Default Re: Combined Shore Power/ Battery Charger Unit

Have you had a good look inside to see if an internal fuse has blown?

I had a similar experience with my old Dolphin combo shore/charge unit. Looking around, just as you are doing now, I didn't see anything close to its original price and I was surprised at the lack of choice. Fortunately a friend opened it up and tucked deep inside there was a blown fuse. A quick trip Halfords and problem sorted.

What exactly does a “shore power unit” do?

Pete

It distributes the power from the shore mains supply to the ring main on the boat and charges the batteries
    Claymore

Quote Originally Posted by LiftyK View Post
    Have you had a good look inside to see if an internal fuse has blown?

I had a similar experience with my old Dolphin combo shore/charge unit. Looking around, just as you are doing now, I didn't see anything close to its original price and I was surprised at the lack of choice. Fortunately a friend opened it up and tucked deep inside there was a blown fuse. A quick trip Halfords and problem sorted.
    Think that is my next job.
    Claymore

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    It distributes the power from the shore mains supply to the ring main on the boat and charges the batteries
    "Distributing power" just means connecting cables together - you don't need anything to actively share out the electrons. I wondered if perhaps it included an RCD and some breakers. If not, and it doesn't do anything beyond "distribute", and the charger half is knackered, then it's functionally just a junction box or bit of choc-block. Indeed you could just put both the incoming supply and the "ring main" (I suspect it's a radial really) on the same terminals of any new battery charger and - ta-da! - it will both charge and "distribute".

Some breakers and an RCD would be a good idea though. Probably in a "garage" type mini consumer unit.

Pete

Thanks
    It is a ring main.
    The unit has breakers.
    The chances are that as you say, the charger half is not functioning so it seems that as LiftyK says, it will be worth having a root in there to see whether a fuse or something else has blown. I think I'm most surprised that these dual purpose units no longer seem to be available
    thanks for your response.
    Claymore

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    I think I'm most surprised that these dual purpose units no longer seem to be available
    I can't see any real point in having one. A simple consumer unit with breakers and an RCD is cheap and cheerful and hugely reliable. A simple battery charger is similarly reliable and easy to replace on its own if it fails.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    I can't see any real point in having one. A simple consumer unit with breakers and an RCD is cheap and cheerful and hugely reliable. A simple battery charger is similarly reliable and easy to replace on its own if it fails.
    Absolutely .

A consumer unit. and a good multistage automatic battery charger with maximum output appropriate for the size of your battery banks would be my choice.

Garage consumer units typically come with an RCD and 1x16 amp circuit breaker and 1x 6 amp The 6 amp should be suitable for the charger and the 16 amp for the sockets

However if you really wanted to stick with a combined shorepower and charger unit The Dolphin "All in one" might do the business.
    Has RCD and 2 x 10 amp circuit breakers for the shorepower distribution and a 25 amp 3 output charger ( the manual suggest there is also a 40 amp version)

See https://www.dolphin-charger.com/prod...-in-one-series

Another thing to consider is the location. The RCD / breaker should be as close to the point the 240v enters the boat where as the charger should be near the batteries.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast