Thread: Dead VHF Radio

Default Dead VHF Radio

Hi,
    I recently bought a 5.5m rib and it came fitted with a fixed Simrad RT1200 vhf radio. The rib had been left out in the open for an extended period and the vhf never worked since I bought the boat. I'm guessing it is dead and beyond rescue but I am going to remove it and plug it into a 12v battery that I have at home. I'll check the fuses and see if there is power going to it okay.
    Has anyone ever had any success with this.
    I'm guessing that my best option might be to pick up a replacement unit with a good IP rating.

Default Re: Dead VHF Radio

It's worth a try.
    I got a dead VHF once, it had blown an internal fuse due to reversing the power I believe, a cheap fix so worth a look.
    Also the mundane things like a corroded on/off switch are worth a check.
    Otherwise, personally I'd get a new one as I depend on the VHF to some extent and they're not that expensive IMHO.

Worth trying, but I think some VHF sets must have an aerial attached to avoid damage if the transmit key is pressed, so to be on the safe side fit the aerial before you power it up.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

Looking up the Simrad RT1200 it doesn't say it is waterproof others are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    I'm guessing that my best option might be to pick up a replacement unit with a good IP rating.
    I reckon you've guessed right! Perhaps look at the new Standard Horizon GX1400GPS/E for £145 at JG Tech - https://jgtech.com/Communications/Fi...n-GX1400E.html

It has an IPX8 rating and a 3-year waterproof warranty. It has a built-in GPS too.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    I reckon you've guessed right! Perhaps look at the new Standard Horizon GX1400GPS/E for £145 at JG Tech - https://jgtech.com/Communications/Fi...n-GX1400E.html

It has an IPX8 rating and a 3-year waterproof warranty. It has a built-in GPS too.
    +1 to all of that
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk