Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: B&G Vulcan lost its Laylines

Update:
    Turned off. Left for half an hour and turned back on, and the chart is back to normal, but still no laylines.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

And now it is fixed. Nothing to do with the Vulcan, and all the searching through the Vulcan menus with considerable help from B&G was a waste of time. The fix was to go into the menus of one of the Triton instruments instead, select Setup - Advanced - and select "Use COG as heading".
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman_E View Post
    And now it is fixed. Nothing to do with the Vulcan, and all the searching through the Vulcan menus with considerable help from B&G was a waste of time. The fix was to go into the menus of one of the Triton instruments instead, select Setup - Advanced - and select "Use COG as heading".
    Thanks for the follow up. Surprising, but good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Norman_E View Post
    I havenít got Triton instruments, but Raymarine ST50s on a Seatalk network. They feed a miniplex that runs the N2K network, of which the Vulcan is a member.

Iíd like to understand just what it was that got your system to display laylines, to see if I can identify a similar fix in my own setup. Interested to find out how you discovered COG as heading was the solution, and what kind of Triton instrument held the key?

Do you not have a heading sensor (electronic compass) on the network, or do you have one and perhaps it has stopped sending heading information?

I would expect more accurate layline predictions with heading sensor input as well as wind, GPS and speed through water input.

I do! I’ve never looked into whether it is giving COG or not, as the various GPS devices are all set to do this.

Good shout. Thanks.

KAL, I was hoping you were going to say that your heading sensor outputs the equivalent of HDG i.e. the way the hull is actually pointing rather than the course you end up going over the ground COG.
    The plotter needs to compare 'Boatspeed and Heading' with 'Speed Over Ground and Course Over Ground' to calculate Tide Rate & Direction. Only when it's calculated this can it give you the most accurate laylines. A strong tide can make a world of a difference.
    Last edited by Martin_J; 09-10-19 at 01:06. Reason: Finger trouble... deleted previous post by mistake.

Just to add... setting 'Use COG as heading' is a workaround that allows the calculations to be made but if you have real heading data available then it's preferable to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_J View Post
    KAL, I was hoping you were going to say that your heading sensor outputs the equivalent of HDG i.e. the way the hull is actually pointing rather than the course you end up going over the ground COG.
    The plotter needs to compare 'Boatspeed and Heading' with 'Speed Over Ground and Course Over Ground' to calculate Tide Rate & Direction. Only when it's calculated this can it give you the most accurate laylines. A strong tide can make a world of a difference.
    I believe the electronic compass does output HDG. What I don’t understand is why the Vulcan, which works in every other respect and has all the “boxes ticked” to show laylines....still doesn’t. I often sail without my log impeller in place, but even when I do insert it, the laylines are conspicuously absent, so it can’t have anything to do with that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12