Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Pictures of my keel leak, what should I do next?

I think you need a professional to survey this for you. The LAST thing you want is the keel to come off. I know that sounds dramatic, but these pictures don't look good. You say you didn't pay much for the boat, so think carefully if this is really worth the money/hassle.

Seems a common problem, you have probably seen this:

http://j24forum.org/usa/faqs/verm_repair.htm

Taking the nuts and plates off and having a poke about might be worth doing. If the sump has not been filled with resin mix, that should fix it - as far as you want to fix an old, inexpensive day boat
    Last edited by doug748; 19-09-19 at 17:51.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    Seems a common problem, you have probably seen this:

http://j24forum.org/usa/faqs/verm_repair.htm

Taking the nuts and plates off and having a poke about might be worth doing. If the sump has not been filled with resin mix, that should fix it - as far as you want to fix an old, inexpensive day boat
    I believe the Westerly versions may have been built differently, but there are some interesting pics of removing vermiculite/resin in this link...

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/ind...-j24-verm-job/

Good photos, should be very useful.

Thanks for those links. I had not seen those even after hours of searching and reading. That shows the vermiculite below the bilge boards where as mine doesn't have that, so appears the job has been remediated in the past on my boat already.

Putting water in the bilge and seeing what runs out isn’t really an indication of how it will perform when at sea and heeled over. If you are going to get this done professionally it may cost more than the value of the boat. Another bodge might be the best option if you’re sure it’s structurally sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    Putting water in the bilge and seeing what runs out isn’t really an indication of how it will perform when at sea and heeled over. If you are going to get this done professionally it may cost more than the value of the boat. Another bodge might be the best option if you’re sure it’s structurally sound.
    True. But if you are on the boat you can mop up as you go along. But if you only visit the boat afloat on a mooring every couple of weeks a slow leak could have a big impact. I have had keelwork done professionally and it wasn't cheap so if there is a bodge that's what I would do. The problem is the cost of a launch and lift out if you haven't done a good bodge.

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Bit of a drift, sorry, but:-
    Not truly applicable in the OP's case but I feel worth bringing to the attention of the forumites.
    I'd be interested to hear how I might get at my keel bolts in order to undertake a keel drop (God forbid).

I have five keel bolts, the for'ard three are easy to get at under the cabin floor, the fourth is deepish in very narrow space infront of/below the companionway.
    The fifth, in similar confined lateral space to the fourth is deep below and well back from the front of the engine; which is in itself is in a very restricted space below the cockpit. The engine can only be accessed from from the cabin.

How the heck would I get at #5? (Engine out, cut hole in cockpit deck?, or what?)
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wilson View Post
    Bit of a drift, sorry, but:-
    Not truly applicable in the OP's case but I feel worth bringing to the attention of the forumites.
    I'd be interested to hear how I might get at my keel bolts in order to undertake a keel drop (God forbid).

I have five keel bolts, the for'ard three are easy to get at under the cabin floor, the fourth is deepish in very narrow space infront of/below the companionway.
    The fifth, in similar confined lateral space to the fourth is deep below and well back from the front of the engine; which is in itself is in a very restricted space below the cockpit. The engine can only be accessed from from the cabin.

How the heck would I get at #5? (Engine out, cut hole in cockpit deck?, or what?)
    Hard to tell without seeing the bolts involved, it could involve producing your own special tool, sacrificing a spanner in the process, ie heating it up and bending it into a crank shape, or cutting and having it welded into into a shape that allows it to slide under the engine and onto the bolt head whilst leaving yourself something to grasp. The forth bolt in a deep and narrow space may just require a socket with extension bar to extend it above the obstructions.
    The spanner will be weakened by the heat and may fail, it may work.
    As an engineer it is common to see this type of thing, the builders problem was securing the keel and installing an engine, probably in that order... not removing the keel.
    Something like this may also work. https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand...orque%20wrench

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    He only bought the boat last week! The insurance company might not play ball...
    If he had a survey then he should notify his surveyor and claim on their insurance, as a fault of this nature should have been spotted by the surveyor.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast