Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Pictures of my keel leak, what should I do next?

Yeah, I only got the boat last week. Didn't pay a huge amount for it, a survey would have been too expensive for the value of the boat and insurance will only cover 3rd party as she is a 1978 boat. It's my first boat and I'm a novice so I did buy the boat on the good faith of the owner as I was oblivious to these finer details of inspection. It's all good experience for me to learn, both the good and the bad.

The keel joint looks absolutely sound so far, I'm going to strip back more of the paint around the keel to see if I can find any more radiating cracks.

If she lasts me 2 years, I'll be happy as I don't intend to race, I want to learn how to sail and then move onto something bigger eventually.

The only additional advice I can offer regarding assessing the area externally is to be able to identify the difference between a crack & a scratch. Sometimes they can be quite difficult to distinguish which is which & often a hairline crack is assumed to be a gel coat scratch. Obviously an open crack is exactly that but the hairline cracks can be just as serious but often misdiagnosed. Sanding the area will often disguise the crack so try and avoid sanding in the first instance. Looking at the photo of the keel the crack almost certainly runs along the edge of the keel on the left hand side for some distance along with suspected hairline cracks extending toward the top of the photo past the area of obvious open cracking.
    All repairable, but cannot really add strength externally without removal of the keel. With regard to insurance, the age of the vessel is not an issue, comprehensive insurance is available but they would need a satisfactory confirmation of condition.
    www.seasurveys.co.uk
    Surveying & Shipwright info on GRP, WOOD & so much more

Just to chip in.....what is your budget? Doing a proper repair with keel drop might be expensive, and some people have been known to live with a little water in the bilges. If you fill the bilges with water as a test and the water stays there you might have an acceptably slow leak. It might have been rain water you found. I'm not disputing the grounding hypothesis at all but if the previous owner genuinely lived with the problem and occasionally sponged the bilges maybe you could too. Just being a bit provocative.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Looks like grounding damage
    Notify the insurance Co that you grounded & now have leaks. See what they say. May get costs recovered & a professional repair plus surveyor paid for.

The person who sold the boat after disguising the damage is at fault here. I think your first initiative would be to try to get him to take it back, although he would be within his rights to claim caveat emptor.
    If that fails and you are stuck with it, IMHO, a repair like this needs to be done by a professional. If you are new to GRP repairs this not one on which to "learn on the job".

I put water in the bilge yesterday and let it sit there, it didn't noticeably drop in level after 30 mins. When I pressed on the crack externally some bubble appeared as I'd added fairy liquid to the water, so it's definitely coming from the inside.

When checking the keel bolts I noticed the one directly above this crack was loose so have tightened it. I've not done a water retest yet to check whether tightening this bolt has effectively stopped water seeping from the bilge area down into this crack, but this in itself suggests there is a route for water between the hull and keel if it's finding its way out of this crack.

Okay, well 30 minutes isn't a long time for a boat afloat. I'd talk to your local grp repair person and pay to get it fixed (you might need to shut your eyes with the bill). As long as the rest of the boat is okay you can then move on and enjoy boat ownership, which should involve sailing . Wet bilges are depressing at best.

That looks to me suspiciously like a cracked floor that has been covered.
    Should we paint what is on a face, what is inside it, or what is behind it?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagicDragon View Post
    That looks to me suspiciously like a cracked floor that has been covered.
    The whole thing look like there's been some major bodging in the past. And the bolt pattern is odd - it looks like there are 2 missing bolts in the centre section. It's an unfortunate start to Brentwales' boating, but part of a steep learning curve.

Edit: Despite the apparent holes for missing keel bolts, I've found other photos of J24 keel bolts and it seems there are only 2 in the centre section. It also seems that the hull has a moulded stub on to which the keel is bolted. The void created by the stub is usually filled with solid GRP to bring the level up near to the top of the keel bolts.
    Last edited by pvb; 19-09-19 at 16:31.

I think work has previously been done on the keel as they used to have vermiculite so perhaps this was done to remediate that as I believe they stopped using it in the early 80s on the J24s

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast