Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Pictures of my keel leak, what should I do next?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    Putting water in the bilge and seeing what runs out isn’t really an indication of how it will perform when at sea and heeled over. If you are going to get this done professionally it may cost more than the value of the boat. Another bodge might be the best option if you’re sure it’s structurally sound.
    If I was sure it was not structural (and looking at it, I would think it is not structural) I would use a flexible sealant such as Sikaflex 291i on both sides and just use it for a year.

As it is a new boat to the owner, he *probably* had a survey, so I would notify the surveyor of the claim on the surveyors insurance and then just get on an sail it for the year. By the next season, if it hadn't leaked I would probably have stopped worrying about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wilson View Post
    I have five keel bolts, the for'ard three are easy to get at under the cabin floor, the fourth is deepish in very narrow space infront of/below the companionway.
    The fifth, in similar confined lateral space to the fourth is deep below and well back from the front of the engine; which is in itself is in a very restricted space below the cockpit. The engine can only be accessed from from the cabin.

How the heck would I get at #5? (Engine out, cut hole in cockpit deck?, or what?)
    On my first 2 boats the keel bolts were studs fitted into plain holes. At the bottom of the hole in the keel was a pocket. In this pocket was a nut on the stud. The pocket was then filled in with filler.
    I am not sure if a spanner could be fitted to the nut, due to lack of space, because it was probably tightened from above. However, you could be lucky & find similar pockets. If so you could shear the nut with a chisel, or perhaps even loosen it from there. Then if the keel slid down the stud you might just get it off.
    It is probably set in linseed putty & lead paint but you might be lucky if the weight of the keel worked in your favour.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    If he had a survey then he should notify his surveyor and claim on their insurance, as a fault of this nature should have been spotted by the surveyor.
    #11, he didn't have a survey done.

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by iamajc View Post
    Hard to tell without seeing the bolts involved, it could involve producing your own special tool,
    As an engineer it is common to see this type of thing, the builders problem was securing the keel and installing an engine, probably in that order... not removing the keel.
    Something like this may also work. https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand...orque%20wrench
    Thinking about the hopefully never-to-be-needed task I reckon the only way would be removal of the engine and hope that a long socket tool could be manipulated through the engine compartment and down to the stud-top nut; which I'll bet is well and truly seized
    The nut is over an arm's length down into the bilge
    That clever "sideways" tool looks useful, but the length of square-ended rod needed to twist the nut would need to be extremely rigid, given the length involved. And that's if the tool could be artfully positioned over the nut

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    I am not sure if a spanner could be fitted to the nut, due to lack of space, because it was probably tightened from above. However, you could be lucky & find similar pockets. If so you could shear the nut with a chisel, or perhaps even loosen it from there. Then if the keel slid down the stud you might just get it off.
    It is probably set in linseed putty & lead paint but you might be lucky if the weight of the keel worked in your favour.
    Are you suggesting there's a nut at the bottom of the stud, and access would need to be by hacking through the keel to get at it?
    I'm not sure I've understood your suggestion.

Thanks to you both, all advice gratefully accepted.
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wilson View Post
    Thinking about the hopefully never-to-be-needed task I reckon the only way would be removal of the engine and hope that a long socket tool could be manipulated through the engine compartment and down to the stud-top nut; which I'll bet is well and truly seized
    The nut is over an arm's length down into the bilge
    That clever "sideways" tool looks useful, but the length of square-ended rod needed to twist the nut would need to be extremely rigid, given the length involved. And that's if the tool could be artfully positioned over the nut

Are you suggesting there's a nut at the bottom of the stud, and access would need to be by hacking through the keel to get at it?
    Basically - yes!!There was a purpose made pocket in the side of the keel which was later filled with filler.
    I have seen this on other keels as well
    If you think about it, it avoids having to drill & tap the cast iron to thread the stud into a hole which could be awkward and time consuming.
    A hole is made in the casting process & the stud just dropped down & a nut put on the bottom in the cast pocket.

Basically - yes!!There was a purpose made pocket in the side of the keel which was later filled with filler.
    I have seen this on other keels as well
    If you think about it, it avoids having to drill & tap the cast iron to thread the stud into a hole which could be awkward and time consuming.
    A hole is made in the casting process & the stud just dropped down & a nut put on the bottom in the cast pocket.
    That's interesting, and I didn't know it - I wonder how many others don't know it too?
    Locating the pocket may be a problem. Sadly there isn't a Javelin30 Owners Association and the builder, Marcon, does not exist any more.
    From memory and photographs, there is nothing obvious on the outside of the keel which might indicate where it might be.

I'll have a word with my usual surveyor, he might be able to help.

Thanks again.
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

There is not a pocket on my current boat, but owners of older boats might see the thread & it may be of use to them.
    Good luck with yours.

There is not a pocket on my current boat, but owners of older boats might see the thread & it may be of use to them.
    Good luck with yours.
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

to the OP- I assume that boat sits on the keel. You could ask the yard to lift the boat and see if there is a void between hull and keel when the keel is hanging free. That should tell much about the size of the damage.
    Do it yourself and do it good!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234