Default B&G Vulcan ATON display

Hi

I have a Vulcan 7 which displays the output from my Digital Yacht Transponder, but ATON's are not displayed. However my Android tablet running NV Charts application via a wifi link shows them.

The AIS transponder feeds the plotter via an Actisense NMEA to NMEA2000 converter, the wifi uses the feed before the converter. So I am assuming that the Actisense converter is not passing the data. The converter was new in June this year.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in anticipation.

Ian
    Tollesbury.

Default Re: B&G Vulcan ATON display

As I understand it, not all plotters can display AtoNs. There may also be an issue with NMEA2000 messages not correctly sending AtoN data, whereas NMEA0183 messages might.

Have you updated your Vulcan to the latest software? Maybe you might ask B&G whether the Vulcan can display AtoNs.

You could also pose the question to Actisense regarding the conversion of data.

Thanks for the answers, will follow up
    Tollesbury.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    As I understand it, not all plotters can display AtoNs........ Maybe you might ask B&G whether the Vulcan can display AtoNs.........
    As it happens, I went to SIBS yesterday with the intent of getting to the bottom of which plotters display the various types of AIS signal (and which icon they use). [PVB: You may remember we had a similar exchange on this a few years ago, when AIS/AtoNs were far fewer]

I had narrowed my choice to Raymarine and B&G. I was somewhat shocked to find that I could not get an unambiguous answer from either stand and came away without spending - really annoying because I had spent quite some time researching and costing the options which would have totalled at about £2,500.

In fact, even surrounded with 3 chaps on one of the stands, it took a while to get them to understand what the full range AIS display could/should be.
    One company said the display is generated by the charting (produced by the other company) and that company said it was a function of their rivals firmware. Neither company (That's four individuals) had a firm grasp of the situation - poor, given that both stands were awash in their various MFDs.

Neither stand had any 'live' reception of AIS, it seems!

Luckily, in the end, I met one of their retailers who understood the issue and he offered to set up my target system in his shop for a live demo.

That's a long winded way of saying don't expect too much from contact with B&G

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    You could also pose the question to Actisense regarding the conversion of data.
    +1,
    During my recent SIBS planning, I came across a note that Actisense had issued new firmware for their NGW-1. I've just looked at the list of changes and the conversion of AIS Message 21 to a PGN is shown as one of the updates. This issue is Firmware: Beta v2.630 Date: 13th March 2018.
    It sounds like your newly purchased Actisense should be OK but its worth checking it has the latest firmware. (see Yngmar #3)

Cheers
    Bob
    Last edited by RIBW; 19-09-19 at 07:55.
    Trying not to extrapolate from zero

[QUOTE=RIBW;6913991
    "
    That's a long winded way of saying don't expect too much from contact with B&G

+1,
    During my recent SIBS planning, I came across a note that Actisense had issued new firmware for their NGW-1. I've just looked at the list of changes and the conversion of AIS Message 21 to a PGN is shown as one of the updates. This issue is Firmware: Beta v2.630 Date: 13th March 2018.
    It sounds like your newly purchased Actisense should be OK but its worth checking it has the latest firmware. (see Yngmar #3)

Cheers
    Bob
    [/QUOTE]

As to the early post I made on this subject, Vulcans will display ATON positions IF they are given them by the receiver. The early problem with my Vulcan9 was nothing to do with the plotter or B&G -purely down to inadequate processing by the NGW-1. The NASA AIS engine does no filtering of messages when converting to NMEA, but the NGW-1 converting to NMEA2000 did not convert all variations of AIS messages (there are a lot!).
    Check your SW version in the NGW-1 and update the firmware if need be.
    I have found B&G support very helpful and prompt to respond, as were NASA and Actisense.